Audacity Basic Questions, Monetized YouTube Videos.

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
CSmith
Operating System: Windows 10

Audacity Basic Questions, Monetized YouTube Videos.

Post by CSmith » Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 pm

Is Audacity safe free software that can be used commercially? For example to make music in monetized YouTube videos.

AND

Will the creators of Audacity need anything? For example payments and/or permissions.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Audacity Basic Questions, Monetized YouTube Videos.

Post by Trebor » Thu May 06, 2021 12:15 am

CSmith wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 pm
... can be used commercially? For example to make music in monetized YouTube videos.
Processing copyrighted music in Audacity, (or similar software), does not remove the copyright from it.

For monetized YouTubes, either the music has to be all your own work,
or you have been given / bought the a license to use the music in a commercial project.

YouTube's own audio library is the safest source of music for YouTube, (cannot be used outwith YouTube).

Other sources of free music are available, e.g. ... http://dig.ccmixter.org/free, (use at your own risk).

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Thu May 06, 2021 1:07 am

Will the creators of Audacity need anything? For example payments and/or permissions.
No. That's true with every audio & video editor I know of... There are no restrictions on what you can do with the tools.

Of course Audacity is audio-only so if there's video you'll need a video editor. Most video editors can do some audio editing so you may not need Audacity at all. And if you do edit audio the audio & video separately, of course you have to take-care to keep everything in-sync.
either the music has to be all your own work,
And just be clear, the "notes & music" (as well as the recording) are copyrighted. You can't distribute/publish yourself singing White Christmas without permission.

jademan
Forum Crew

Post by jademan » Fri May 07, 2021 1:56 am

CSmith wrote:
Is Audacity safe free software that can be used commercially? For example to make music in monetized YouTube videos.
Yes. See: Is Audacity really free? Why?
CSmith wrote:
No. See the answer to your first question.

CSmith

Post by CSmith » Fri May 07, 2021 12:11 pm

So just to be clear:
Basically, if I create a song 100% my own including writing lyrics, making the music for it, singing it, and use Audacity to do this, I owe Audacity nothing?

jademan
Forum Crew

Post by jademan » Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

CSmith wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:11 pm
Basically, if I create a song 100% my own including writing lyrics, making the music for it, singing it, and use Audacity to do this, I owe Audacity nothing?
Yes, that is correct. The Audacity software that you download today from https://www.audacityteam.org/download/ is 100% free. Even better, there is no spyware or advertising included. So how can it exist? It has been able to survive on donations of money and time from volunteers.

Note there are restrictions and licenses involved in reusing the source code, but they mostly revolve around protecting the open and free nature of Audacity.

Also, see this notice: Audacity & MuseScore Announcement!

Also note: Please do not construe this opinion as legal advice. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer.

CSmith

Post by CSmith » Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm

BTW - You AUTOMATICALLY own the copyrights to your creations (at least here in the U.S.) so nobody can (legally) distribute or publish your song without your permission. If Lady Gaga wants to record your song she has to pay you royalties! :D ...But it's not easy to prove or enforce your copyright if it's not registered and/or if you don't have lawyers, etc.

Or, you can give-away some or all of your rights if you release your work as "creative commons".

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri May 07, 2021 5:16 pm

CSmith wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:11 pm
You could give Audacity a "thank you" in your cover notes if you want, but that's entirely optional.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)