Bass LOW - DJ Recordings

Hello,

I have the audacity version that was up-to-date in January 2021. I believe there is a slightly newer version.

I dj vinyl through an Ekler mixer. The analog signal is processed through an iRig Stream to my laptop through a USB port.

I have tried both USB ports with no difference. I have also tried the different encoding options and that makes no difference.

When I stream mixes on Twitch, however, the bass sounds fine. So it must be an issue with audacity not the converter, no?

When I record on audacity the bass is almost non-existent. Even when I turn is way up on the EQ it distorts and still is not loud at all.

What can I do about this?

Without knowing any more than that, I’d say Audacity was recording your computer microphone and not the formal data stream.

Check what’s listed in the little Audacity microphone (recording) window. Audacity records whatever is presented to it and doesn’t apply effects, filters, or corrections. Also, Audacity gets its sound from Windows, not the device. That can mean you’re getting your music from Skype or Zoom services. They tend not to tell you when they change things and they really like clear voice settings.

Koz

Audacity doesn’t apply effects or mess-with the digital stream while recording but Windows sometimes does - Make sure that [u]Windows “enhancements”[/u] are turned OFF.

When you stream on Twitch are you using the same exact hardware setup?

Do you have a link to the specs/information for the iRig you’re using?

Are you getting a stereo recording? Try unplugging the left & right channels separately to make sure the channels are staying separated. (A broken ground connection or incorrect connection can sometimes create a left minus “vocal remover” effect which will also kill the bass and the stereo information.)

This happens more that you might think.

If you are using IK’s Custom ASIO driver for Windows machines, know that Audacity does not ship with ASIO support - you must compile your own version of Audacity from the source code. Other software programs such as Cakewalk and Reaper may support ASIO.

Look in the Device Toolbar, what does it show as your Recording Device?

It is not recording off the computer mic. That does happen, but I know to switch the incoming audio, and I always test with a hand clap.

What else could it be? This was never an issue with audacity and because twitch works fine, it doesn’t seem to be a soundcard issue.

What else could it be?

Did you try the left/right experiment?

I will try the left-right experiment. However, I have listened to the audacity recordings and they are in stereo. There is no loss of other frequencies.

Are you getting a stereo recording? Try unplugging the left & right channels separately to make sure the channels are staying separated. (A broken ground connection or incorrect connection can sometimes create a left minus “vocal remover” effect which will also kill the bass and the stereo information.)

I checked this and although both channels are recording, I am not getting a stereo recording. I checked and rechecked the cables, they were snug.

I found that the right channel has no signal.

I hooked up the iRig from both the output of the mixer and of the stereo. There was no right signal regardless of the source.

That means it is probably the iRig, no?

Go into Windows setups and make sure it mounted the iRig as stereo. You should also be able to do the one connector sound test with Windows and see if both Left and Right work. Audacity gets its sound from Windows not the device.

The Stream has dedicated Left and Right connections. I suspect it’s getting lost in Windows.

When I stream mixes on Twitch, however, the bass sounds fine.

But that still doesn’t account for your Twitch success.

On-Line services take over sound system adjustments without telling you. That’s how they maintain bulletproof sound no matter what machine they’re running on. That can cause no end of confusion, particularly if the control doesn’t go away when the app is napping.

Can you test Twitch by unplugging Left and then Right cables? I bet they’re fine.

Koz

Are Loopback and Mono both off?

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 6.38.30 PM.png
Koz

II am only getting audio from the iRig to the computer when the left iRig input channel is plugged in. When it is plugged in, it looks like a stereo mix is coming through on Audacity as both channels are indicating that recording is occurring. When I remove only the left channel iRig input no signal is recorded at all.

When I remove the right channel input to the iRig no noticeable change occurs on the audacity recording. However, the iRig signal indicator does indicate an audio signal is entering from the right channel.

This occurred when both the mono and loopback switches were set to off.

The same thing happens whether the signal is coming from the mixer or the amplifier.

This is starting to look like an iRig problem, but they are not cheap and I don’t want to buy another. Any suggestions will be welcome.

G

This is starting to look like an iRig problem, but they are not cheap

Maybe not… Make sure both Windows and Audacity are [u]configured for stereo[/u].

But… That doesn’t explain why streaming is working OK or the lack of bass…

Can you play this 40 second sound file?

https://www.kozco.com/tech/LRMonoPhase4.mp3

Can you hear all four segments at more or less the same volume? Even the fourth segment, “out of phase?”

Koz

However, the iRig signal indicator does indicate an audio signal is entering from the right channel.

The iRig only has one flashing light for levels. It measures a summation. How do you know the signal is coming from the right?

Reverse the iRig’s two input cables. Did the dead side reverse in Audacity?

Koz

Audacity is set to a stereo input.

In the Windows control, when I look at configuration for iRig, there is no tab that says “recording.”

I hit device properties and then “additional device properties”

There was still no record tab, but I found under the “enhancements” tab that there was a low frequency cutoff set to 80 hz. I turned that off but there was no change in the test song I recorded (which was from the 70s and wouldn’t have too much below 80hz but was still as tinny as before)

Still doesn’t explain the lack of stereo. I played a record with really obvious left right differences and it became clear that only the left channel going into the iRig is recording on Audacity and that Audacity is doubling that single track on two tracks. When I switched the input cables, the same thing happened with the “right” cable in the left input.

I could not hear the recording you uploaded at all. BTW, on spotify there is no bass problem.

What I meant about iRig indicating a signal through the right input is that the green signal indicator light is on when only the right input is in, even though no signal shows up on audacity.

I could not hear the recording you uploaded at all.

That’s concerning. Do you get the blue waves in Audacity and just can’t hear them?

I can’t think of a common condition or combination of conditions that would give you your symptoms. The iRig seems to be working normally and Audacity doesn’t apply filters, effects, or corrections to the incoming performance.

So Windows in the middle is doing something to the signals. I was about to post Windows is doing something to the signal both directions, but all available evidence seems to point to a monitoring problem. You can’t hear what you’re doing.

Can you plug wired headphones into the computer? Can you hear my sound test if you do that?

Koz

Close Audacity. Can you play my sound test in Windows Media? Does my voice appear on the left, then the right…?

Koz

Sorry, it has been a while. I do not know how to load your sound file onto audacity. When I play it on windows media it sounds fine, left channel and right channel are separated properly.

If you can figure out what windows might be doing to process the sound that way before it gets to audacity, I’ll really appreciate your help.

I think I figured it out! Deep in the Windows control page for audio there is the ability to remove the default audio adjustments. I took that off and got a stereo signal with plenty of bass. I don’t know if I’ll have to do that every time I turn on the computer, or if it messes with the microphone for zoom. We’ll see. I hope I can find it again!

Thank you for your time.