removing recorded speaker noise

am using Audacity 3.0.2 on Windows 10

So, I take my portable cassette player (is a NAXA Electronics NPB-300), insert a tape, press RECORD, turn the volume to zero, count to 10, turn the volume to 10 and count to 10 again. When played back you will hear the speaker noise/audio on the 2nd counting.

1. is there a technical term for the speaker noise audio ?
  2. how can it be removed with Audacity ?

Thank you.
Edwin

Are you actually trying to record to a cassette or are you trying to digitize an old cassette?

press RECORD, turn the volume to zero, count to 10, turn the volume to 10 and count to 10 again. When played back you will hear the speaker noise/audio on the 2nd counting.

Sorry, I don’t understand. With the recording volume at zero I’d expect you to record silence. With the volume turned-up I’d expect you to record yourself counting…

To me, “speaker noise” would be rattle or buzz when the volume is turned-up too loud but that would be the playback volume not the recording volume.

As with DVDdoug, I am not sure what it is you are trying to accomplish. Are you recording to a USB memory stick? Have you read the manual, which reads, in part:

“The automatic level control(ALC)will set the record level for optimum recordings,regardless of volume setting.”

See: https://naxa.com/supportcenter/download/searchmodel/?sku=NPB-300

How does Audacity fit into this picture?

In general, if you have a recording in Audacity with background noise, select a portion of the audio with noise only and get a noise profile via Effects > Noise Reduction. Then select the whole recording and run Noise Reduction again. See: Noise Reduction