Begging for help recovering Missing Audio Data Block File(s)

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
RodeMotu
Operating System: Windows 10

Begging for help recovering Missing Audio Data Block File(s)

Post by RodeMotu » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:19 am

So I am completely gutted right now, I have an audio project due in two days and I just lost three days worth of progress when the program randomly crashed. Now I have an error message saying "warning missing audio data block files" and my two hours of audio are nowhere to be seen.

Is there a guardian angel out there who can show me how to go about trying to recover this project? I am in shambles over this, was just about ready to finish the project and now this is a huge set back.

I am using Audacity 2.4.2 in Windows 10. I attached my .au file and tried to attach the .data files but it wont let me drop the whole folder in there at once. Desperate for advice!
Attachments
USC_Spring2021_IanBlake_Part3.aup
(350.61 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Begging for help recovering Missing Audio Data Block File(s)

Post by steve » Fri May 28, 2021 10:11 am

In versions of Audacity prior to 3.0.0, Audacity projects had two parts.
1. The ".aup" file (that you attached)
2. A "_data" folder containing all of the audio data for the project.

In your case, the _data folder would be called: "USC_Spring2021_IanBlake_Part3_data"

My guess is that moved, deleted or renamed the _data folder so Audacity can't find it, and that's why Audacity is complaining about missing data.

Since Audacity 3.0.0, and in the current Audacity 3.0.2, Audacity projects are now a single, self contained ".aup3" file. The new project format is intended to avoid these kind of mishaps.

The current version of Audacity is available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)