ogg file won't open

(Audacity is wonderful!)

The attached file won’t open - just hangs shortly after the splash - either with 2.4.2, or with my just-now-freshly-installed 3.0.0.

It plays in Wikipedia (the source, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Claude_Debussy_-_Première_Arabesque_-_Patrizia_Prati.ogg) - assuming of course that what plays there is the file I downloaded - but also with Power Media Player.

At the source it says “426 kbps” - but in Windows Explorer, it says “1536 kbps”… dunno!

Oops! …“file too large” to attach (15,233 kb) - but perhaps you can try it from the source? :slight_smile:

Both FYI… and for help to us!

Thanks, and best,

• Ken & Thu Huong & Carlton

Confirmed - Except for me Audacity (3.0.0) crashes when I try to open it. “Importing Ogg Vorbis files (Not Responding)”

I was able to convert the file to WAV with [u]Kabuu Audio Converter[/u] and then I could open the WAV.

I was also able to open the OGG file with GoldWave.

I can open an OGG that I created with Audacity.

At the source it says “426 kbps” - but in Windows Explorer, it says “1536 kbps”… dunno!

Windows is WRONG! Windows also gets the OGG file I created wrong.

MediaInfo confirms it’s an OGG file and it reports a bitrate of 500kbps.

There are 8 bits in a byte so 426 kilo_bits_ per second is 53 kilo_bytes_ per second. 35 kilobytes per second X 293 seconds is 15.6MB which is close to the actual file size.

(9200 posts in 11 years, eh? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation, DVDdoug!

And yes, “crash”, “not responding”… but “35”? …presumably ya meant… 53 again, right? :slight_smile:

• KTHCS

Yeah, 53. :blush:

As a workaround, you can select “FFmpeg-compatible files” as the file type in the import dialog before selecting the file to import.

This issue has been logged on the Audacity bug tracker.
Apparently it is the same problem as here: https://forum.juce.com/t/ogg-vorbis-file-puts-juce-oggreader-in-infinite-loop/41148 and the solution to the problem is to update the ogg import library.