Hard to remove electrical noise from guitar audio

Hi there, I’m using Audacity 3.0.0 on Windows 10.

I’ve got an electric guitar with some experimental electronics installed which are in-circuit with the guitar’s pickup. Electrical noise is being transferred from a switching regulator to the audio signal. The switching occurs between 600-1000 kHz. With my limited knowledge I’m struggling to figure out how to remove this noise in Audacity. I’ve tried noise reduction, notch filter etc. I will fix this properly electrically but in the meantime I was hoping I could clean up the audio.

I’ve attached a short sample WAV of the guitar’s output and it’s quite obvious to hear the horrible electrical noise. I was hoping someone might be able to take a look and see if they can spot the issue and perhaps what might work to remove it (if possible).

Thanks,
Joshua

Now post a sound test with some silence in it. We can’t do anything with a fuzz guitar performance.

Koz

The problem is there is no fuzz in the silence, the regulator powers LED lights that react to the guitar so they’re off when the guitar isn’t playing. The only time the noise occurs is when the LED’s are on which is while the guitar is being played.

It still sound just like a normal fuzz guitar performance to me. I don’t hear anything I would call electrical interference. Any way to post a sound test without the extra electronics so we know what “normal” is.

I don’t think there’s any way to fix that into a normal-sounding guitar. Once you distort the sound enough, you’re recording the distortion, not the performance. There’s no guitar in there to “clean up.”

Koz

I’ve attached a audio clip of the guitar (not being played) with just the LEDs going on and off so you can hear the electrical noise that’s being introduced by the electrical regulator. That same screech in this clip is present in the previous.

“Noise Reduction” is your best tool, but you will only be able to reduce the noise and not remove it entirely.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/noise_reduction.html

This has had noise reduction applied. It’s a matter of opinion whether this sounds any better: