Audacity completely frozen, unusable

first off let mi say i LOVE this software – it has helped mi to realize some new home multi-track recordings and to edit some auld stereo and mono recordings, all for potential eventual release! it’s easy to use, and pretty intuitiv.

but then one day recently a bizarre problem occurred, and now i can’t use it, it’s totally frozen.

in fact, i’v tried uninstalling and reinstalling it twiice, and it StiLL won’t work!

it’s the newest version, i guess, version 3.0.0, and i’m using Windows 10.

here’s how it happent: i opened audacity one day last week to do some editing, and when it came up there was a small screen alert that told mi that some file was not saved when the program was last closed (or something along those lines), and it said the file needed to be recovered, and asked if i wanted to do so. i said yes, it started (and maybe finished) the “recovery” process, and then suddenly the whole thing just locked up. none of the keys
work anymore, not even the X in the corner to close it – i had to close it from the Taskbar. and, as i said, i’v uninstalled and reinstalled it,
to no effect.

help!!! i don’t know what to do. i want to keep using audacity; i really really dig it, and it truly has helped mi immeasurably since i started using it. do y’all hav any ideas???

OK, here’s what do do.

1. Re-boot your computer. If that doesn’t fix it, then,

2. Delete C:\Users<your name>\AppData\Roaming\audacity\audacity.cfg. If that doesn’t fix it, then

3. Rename C:\Users<your name>\AppData\Roaming\audacity

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I assume you are using English. If you are using an oriental language, there may be additional steps.

I can’t even get Audacity to record in Win10

Start here: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)