Recordings seems fine when recording but when saved and rechecked later, recordings were self cut and duplicated??

Version: Audacity 3.0.0
Was recording on: ZOOM H5, 4 channel mono recording

I was recording my voice using the zoom h5 on audacity for a video (which takes forever to even setup the recorder to the software, had to record all 4 channels from the recorder even though only using one)

So i was recording the video and voice for a whole hour and for throughout the whole recording, the audacity and camera is monitored the whole time so no problem really spotted.

I did stop in the middle a bit but all i did was press stop recording.
And i proceed to record again by just press “R”, and IT SHOWED it continues recording exactly where I ended the first session.

After the recording, I didn’t bothered to check a whole hour of audio since i was monitoring it the whole time and it didnt stop recording anytime during the shoot. So i just saved the file directly and start do audio improvement on the audio without checking the audio (Filter EQ, Normalize, Compress, Amplify, Noise reduction) and exported the mp3.

Once im going to edit the video, I put the mp3 and the video recording together and they are the same length.
But as I went to edit, i realize the audio all of the sudden was cut from a point where its synced with the video to a point where the video is already ending. THE MIDDLE OF THE MP3 IS THE VOICE OF THE END PART OF THE VIDEO.(hope u understand)

The weird part is the Mp3 is nowhere near ending as it still have the exact same length of the chunk that is cut out, so i assume that it maybe just swapped the audio between the middle part and the end part of the audio BUT NO.

IT IS THE SAME ENDING PART! SO IT ESSENTIALLY SOMEHOW JUST DUPLICATE A SAME LENGTH OF THE CUT OUT AUDIO THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE MIDDLE PARRT OF THE AUDIO BUT THE END PART OF THE AUDIO PLUS AN EXTENSION OF AUDIO THAT ARE SLIGHTLY IN FRONT OF THE ENDING PART.

I know its confusing but essentially,

TLDR;
the recording has the correct total recording length,
BUT
NO MIDDLE PART,
instead it has,
2 REPEATED ENDING PART.

So yeah it does not make sense to me and this is actually work related and I’m running late already.
Hopefully you can understand what im saying or else im dead haha byebye

:confused: Here is where I got lost:

OK, so you are recording audio with Audacity. How are you recording the video? Why don’t you just use your video recorder to record the audio together with the video? Why is Audacity involved? :confused:

I did stop in the middle a bit but all i did was press stop recording.

When I do that, it starts a new recording and saves the old one. Is there a Pause button? I have to look that one up.
So I think you do have the whole show, but in two sections.

I will put money it’s possible to not record all four sound channels. I could split them on an older H4.

Nobody ever accused Zoom of having the best or simplest setups.

You want Stereo File Mode and not Multi File Mode. When you hit it, the window will show only two tracks. That will be the two built-in microphones. You can scratch each one and watch the meters jump.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 6.52.33 PM.png
Mount the H5 on your computer in chip or memory manager mode (not live record mode) and count the sound tracks and dates. I bet you have eight tracks with similar times and dates. Four before you stopped it and four after you started up again. I’m guessing on some of the file formats. I have two Zooms, but have never done a four track recording.

Post back when you sort it.

Koz

2 REPEATED ENDING PART.

One of the file configurations is to produce a recording and a backup. So that could be where the two copies are coming from. I’m betting the front half of the show is still on the Zoom.

Koz