Missing "Use Custom Mix" Option

I’ve searched high and low for this, and I cannot find ANYWHERE, on how to get the “use custom mix (for example to export a 5.1 multichannel file)” option to appear on Audacity. I do have surround system built in my computer, I do have Dolby 5.1 Surround System drivers, and YET it doesn’t appear. I have LAME built in as well as the FFMPEG set-up, and the latest 3.0.0 Audacity.

I just wanted to try and separate music from dialogue on a certain scene of mine or at least TRY to do that, but I can’t even find a program that has this capability, and when I realized Audacity has surround system editing capabilities, I thought “oh maybe this might work” nope, it hasn’t, because I don’t have the option listed on Audacity.

[u]Edit > Preferences > Import Export[/u]

Did you even listen to the damned post?! I said I tried that already! It didn’t show up!

Please tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, step-by-step, and where you run into a problem. What format are you exporting to? (WAV? MP3? etc?).

Hi guys.

Using Win10 and Audacity 3.0.3 but I also am struggling to get the “Use Custom Mix” and" Surround 5.1 option to show. I installed the appropriate FFmpeg library but can’t seem to get anywhere. Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks

AiTE

Audacity does not have “Surround 5.1” option. What it has is the ability to export multi-channel audio files.
Note that the number of supported channels depends on the file format.

To enable the option, enable “Use Advanced Mixing Options:” in “Preferences > Import / Export”.
See: Import / Export Preferences - Audacity Manual
and Advanced Mixing Options - Audacity Manual

In Audacity 3.3.3 for PC Windows 10 Home. There is no “Use Custom Mix” Option. In theory to get multichannel output you need to do Edit > Perferences > Import/Export and check the “Use Advanced Mixing Options”

Then when you export audio, you have to select the format, give and validate a file name, and ONLY THEN will the option pop-up to allow you to mix tracks into channels.

My problem now is that, despite loads of demos on-line showing access to upto 32 channels, I only have access to 2 channels. (Which is called stereo, and thanks I can already do that)

I don’t have a multi channel sound card on my PC, I just want to export the files for playback elsewhere. In theory this should not affect the export of a multi-channel file, but could this be the reason?

I can’t talk to your exact situation since I have Audacity 3.2.2 installed. I just managed to output to 6 channel FLAC. I couldn’t use Export Multiple, but used Export Selected Audio. As you say, after entering a file name, I get the output channel selection dialogue but I did have 6 channels.

I am using a laptop without a multichannel soundcard.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I was able to reproduce what you say when I accidentally only selected two of the tracks. I was selecting by clicking on my labels track at the top when a Hand pointer is displayed. But that “seems” a bit random in that it sometimes selects all tracks, sometimes, some. I say “seems” as I have not practised enough or tried reading to see if there is a particular pattern.