VST Instrument workaround in Audacity using a VST host.

As we know Audacity does not support VST Instrument plugins. If you want to record the output from a VST using a USB keyboard plugged into your computer however I tried this workaround which allowed me to record audio from a VST.

First down load a VST host program - I found NanoHost which is very simple and small. It acts as a host for your VST instrument and turns it into a standalone program.
I tried it with the free TX16WS sampler plugin. The TX16WS is opened as a standalone program and can be programmed. I used the virtual keyboard in the TX16 but it should work with a USB keybd.
Open Audacity and play around with the settings - on my system I used Windows WASAPI, Mic input to the soundcard speaker e.g.on my system Conexant Smart Audio HD and Output speaker to Conexant Smart Audio HD.

Using the virtual keyboard in the sampler the signal is routed to Audacity and can be recorded as an Audio file. I’m no expert but this seems to be a way of using VST sounds for recording simple tracks.
PS Working in Windows 7 using Audacity 2.4.2.

Just a quick update. One problem with the above post is if you are trying to play along with an Audacity rhythm/click track or previously recorded tracks. The click track is also recorded on the VST instrument track.
The solution -
Plug in a USB Audio interface.
Set Audacity as follows
WASAPI or whatever works.
Mic Input - speakers (Conexant or your soundcard speakers)
Speaker output- to your USB Audio interface device with headphones plugged in.
You should now be able to hear the click track and other tracks recorded in Audacity on headphones while recording Audio from the VST instrument.
As mentioned I used this method with the TX16 sampler VST and more recently with Spitfire Labs VST using NanoHost.

How are you recording to Audacity with NanoHost? I can’t figure it out. I am using a M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 Mk3 to control NanoHost. Could this be the issue? I understand Audacity does not support MIDI.

I think he was using “WASAPI loopback” to record all sounds that are playing on the computer. How to do that is described here: Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Windows - Audacity Manual

Hi Just picked up your reply and perhaps I can explain more.
Firstly in addition to Nanohost there is also a free program called Minihost. Both have 32 and 64 bit versions and allow you to use a vst as a standalone program.
I use an Oxygen Pro keyboard but any midi keyboard should work.

Set up Nano Host as follows
MIDI INPUT - SELECT YOUR KEYBOARD, WHICH SHOULD BE ON THE LIST of available MIDI in sources.
AUDIO OUTPUT - MME SPEAKERS (Conexant 20672 on my system).
This should get your input from your keyboard to your vst and audio out through the headphone speaker socket output on your PC/Laptop

Set up Audacity as follows

AUDIO HOST - WASAPI
RECORDING DEVICE - SPEAKERS (CONEXANT 20672 SMART A ON MY SYSTEM).
PLAYBACK DEVICE - SPEAKERS (USB INTERFACE EG TASCAM US 122 ON MY SYSTEM)

In short you play your keyboard and vst through the headphone socket on your pc with speakers or headphone plugged in in real time.
You monitor the rhythm track and other tracks your have recorded while playing the vst through the USB interface headphone output - when recording you will not hear the vst through this output.

You may say ask how do I wear 2 pairs of headphones?
On my system I use plug in speakers on one output, and headphones on one ear so i can hear both. Bit Heath Robinson but it works. If you have two sets of plug in speakers so much the better

MiniHost is a very similar setup.

You will not be recording midi - you will record audio as you play it.

MiniHost is a very similar setup.
SET
AUDIO DEVICE TYPE - WINDOWS AUDIO
OUTPUT - SPEAKERS (CONEXANT ETC)

AUDACITY AS ABOVE.
just tried this as writing using the Kawai K1v vst synth

Hope this helps if you haven’t already worked it out

Another quick tip - for monitoring I wear 2 sets of headphones - a small in-ear set eg mobile phone type and closed cup cans over. Works a treat.