Guaranteed High Frequency Sound Card With IN and OUT

Hi,
I am looking for a relatively low cost “sound card” (internal or external) that is guaranteed to BOTH record and play back high frequency signals to at least 160KHz.

Any suggestions?

Thank you :slight_smile:

I doubt that such a thing exists. To support up to 160 kHz signal frequency requires a sample rate over 320 kHz.

There is some reasonably priced equipment used by bat recording enthusiasts, but that usually “only” goes up to 192 kHz sample rate, which means a maximum theoretical signal frequency below 96 kHz. (Example: http://pibat.afraidofsunlight.co.uk/)

There might be a “data acquisition” card/interface that can do that but probably not at a low price.

You might just get lucky or there are some high sample rate “audiophile” DACs and you can probably find one that goes up to 384kHz (sample rate) but they are meant for audio so the audio might be filtered to the audio range. High sample rate audio ADCs don’t seem to be as common, probably because audio pros (recording) aren’t quite as crazy as audiophiles (playback). And of course, audiophile stuff is expensive… Audiophiles are highly-attracted to expensive stuff!

Note that sometimes the specs can be misleading… Any cheap soundcard can play a 384kHz (sample rate) WAV file because the drivers will down-sample if the hardware doesn’t actually support it.

I am looking for a relatively low cost “sound card” (internal or external) that is guaranteed to BOTH record and play back high frequency signals to at least 160KHz.

Why?

It’s not unusual for forum posters to misjudge a job. Sometimes there’s a pre-baked solution or easy way out once we know what the actual task is.

You are not describing a cheap soundcard.

Koz

Is this what you are looking for: Amazon.com

Well, perhaps it’s not so low. :frowning: But if it is, then all you will need are transducers. :wink:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

And here is something a little bit cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Internal-Quad-Core-Processor-SABRE-class/dp/B07T9YYVV6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIocS-r9_E7gIVlklyCh16FA5uEAMYASAAEgJtRvD_BwE&hvadid=384312563180&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012283&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=10743110146915998626&hvtargid=kwd-295183984310&hydadcr=20132_9665276&keywords=ess+sabre+dac&qid=1612047151&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20

“Only” 96 kHz maximum recording sample rate.
Also, SoundBlaster avoid saying what the audio bandwidth is. It’s quite likely that the analog bandwidth is not much more than 20 kHz.

I’m betting we can do a much better job at this when we find out what the job is.

Throwing out impossible specifications blind is only going to take you just so far.

Koz

Yes, and don’t forget the transducers (mic and speakers).

steve, what do you know about this animal? USB C to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter, CLIPTHAT HiFi Type C to Aux Audio Jack, 32Bit/384Khz Hi-Res Portable USBC DAC dongle, TRRS Mic Support

Nowhere does it say these are going to be sound signals. That was a guess on the part of the poster. So here we are in the woods.

Koz

Thank you all! :slight_smile:

For those who asked, the application is a general bench test instrument that I can use to generate various audio and non-audio test signals.

Any additional suggestions are welcomed. :slight_smile:

Thank you

So we’re taking the part of a General Radio test generator and Hewlett-Packard analyzer.

We should be careful with that because those two are famous for truth and stability. That’s pretty much the last thing home computers are known for.

Koz

Thank you Koz :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean what you mean by “General Radio test generator” and “Hewlett-Packard analyzer” they are extremely broad terms. What type of generator are you referring to and what analyzer?

It is not for radio-related testing but general bench top experimental equipment in all sorts of areas.

Thank you

Perhaps best to initially limit your work to the audio range (up to 20 kHz) as there’s plenty of affordable hardware available. Once you have it all working, it should be relatively simple to upgrade your hardware.

Thank you Steve, :slight_smile:
all the rest of the system has already been working for long time, that’s why I am looking to extend the frequency range.

Thank you

For “guaranteed” very high frequencies, I think we’re back to the bat recording hobbyists (see my first reply, and Google for “bat recording” and similar)

Hi I have accidently stumbled across this thread and thought I throw in this piece of information:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08JZ517FV/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=da930e863dfad34a36f6aad66ad435e4&hsa_cr_id=6375811080202&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=1f409491-6e95-4e98-9d4f-d59683f86929&pd_rd_w=rKm2U&pd_rd_wg=naCZ9&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title

We are using this USB Soundcard for our bat work, which can indeed record through the mic input at 192 kHz sample rate. Has been tested under WIN10 and Linux.

Maybe it helps someone.

Alfred

Thanks for the information, which I’m sure some will find useful.

It is however still a long way from the original poster’s stated requirements:

guaranteed to BOTH record and play back high frequency signals to at least 160KHz.