Messed up a audio record - need help

Hello,

I had one job to record some audio and I totally messed it up :frowning:
Can someone tell me how I can get the voices louder or remove the background
noises?
I ’ ve really no idea from audio but I’m willing to learn from my mistake and how to
correct the mistake.

A sample of the file is attached - thanks for any help.

What was the show? What were you recording?

Koz

I recorded a Meeting, but instead of internal sound I recorded via microphone, the language is german.
It was the first time and I didn’t know how to do it, we were using jitsi platform and I didnt know, that it
was possible to record the session itself in jitsi, because there was no obvious record button like there is in
zoom platform.
Can you give me some advise?

So I would say the audio is totally unrecoverable. But this is also out of my wheelhouse.

You can clean up the audio a smidgeon, by doing the following:

1. Select All, Effect > Amplify 10dB, allow clipping.
  2. Select the audio from about 8.4 to 8.8 seconds, and Effect > Noise Reduction > Get Noise Profile
  3. Select All, Effect > Noise Reduction > OK
  4. Effect > Compressor
  5. Effect > Declicker
  6. Repeat steps 2 and 3

So as I said, this is not really my forte, there are others here with vastly more experience in this area.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I recorded a Meeting, but instead of internal sound I recorded via microphone

Nobody easily records both sides of electronic meetings. Was this an effort to capture both your voice and the other people in the meeting?

Many meeting companies offer recording as part of the service. Zoom and Skype both do this.

The other simple method is perform the meeting open-air, hands-free and set your phone with a recording app between you and the computer. This method depends on you meeting in a quiet room and it depends on your computer having a reasonable sound system. Again, typically, if you can understand the conversation, the phone should be able to capture it.

If you have an extra computer, you can have it join the meeting with its microphone off. Record the speaker signal if you can. That will contain all the people in the meeting.

Koz

As you try different methods, set up tests first before you commit to a real, valuable meeting.

Koz

Nobody easily records both sides of electronic meetings. Was this an effort to capture both your voice and the other people in the meeting? Many meeting companies offer recording as part of the service. Zoom and Skype both do this.

You might want to take a look at this article How to record separate audio for each person in a Zoom call

How to record separate audio for each person in a Zoom call

There was the idea they could provide individual recordings of you and the group, but it’s good that they can do individual participant recordings as well—at least according to Tech Republic.

There is a sound note here that everybody with a slot in the recording should be wearing headphones or earphones during the call. Most of the distortion in a Zoom or Skype call comes from the service trying to manage feedback distortion and room echoes. A lot of that goes away when the performer is wearing headphones.

It’s not obvious to the users, but they are wearing headphones to improve their sound quality to everyone else and the recording. It’s up to the Zoom leader or supervisor to insist on it in the meeting setup. This gets sticky when you’re interviewing a very important person and they don’t want to be inconvenienced by headphones. They get recorded with wine glass Zoom Voice and there isn’t much option.

If this is one of the paid Zoom services, I would say it’s probably well worth the bux. The only other option I know of for good quality recordings is have each performer record their own voice in addition to the providing a voice for the call. That’s the Marching Cats problem and a juggling act at the best of times and likely to fail. It is recommended you get Zoom to record it anyway as a desperation backup.

There is a forum post from someone who is planning on recording their audiobook as a Zoom duet with someone at a production company. I wanted them to describe exactly how they were going to do that. I don’t think it’s possible. I haven’t heard back.

Koz