Trim and Automatically Reposition

Is there a way to trim audio and have Audacity automatically move the resulting audio to 0:00? Right now I’m using CTRL+X, CTRL+A, CTRL+V to do essentially the same thing, but I didn’t know if there was something more efficient.

Windows 10
Audacity 2.4.2

Thanks.

Is there a way to trim audio and have Audacity automatically move the resulting audio to 0:00?

The DEL key?

Koz

That removes the selected audio and repositions it. I’m looking to keep what is selected and reposition it. I could select the audio on either side of what I want to keep and remove it using the DEL key, but that’s a bit more troublesome than the workaround I currently use.

You can remove selected audio and have it place on the clipboard with Edit > Cut or its shortcut Ctrl + X

You can then choose where you want to past it (much as you would with Word or Excel etc,)

Peter.

Yeah, that’s essentially what I’m doing now, but I’m wondering if there’s something similar to CTRL+T, but it automatically time shifts the trimmed audio to 0:00 without having to do it manually.

I’m looking to keep what is selected and reposition it.

Oh. Right. Yes, I’ve run into that. That’s a lot more fuss. You want the inverted DEL key.

Koz

You could probably write an Audacity Macro to do that …

Peter.

Good Idea.

Cut:
SelectAll:
Paste:

Does it. Just assign a keyboard shortcut to the macro.

Ah, that works well. Thanks, all.

That may not do what you want if the project has more than one track (it will attempt to replace all tracks with the selected audio).

If you want the macro to only act on the selected tracks, try:

Copy:
SelTrackStartToCursor:
SelCursorToTrackEnd:
Paste: