How did I connect my headphones?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
jvd0213
Operating System: Windows 10

How did I connect my headphones?

Post by jvd0213 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm trying to record a podcast using Audio Technica M30X headphones. I'd like to be able to hear myself while I'm recording my audio. First, I'm having difficulty getting the audio to come through my headphones consistently. I have the headphones connected into the microphone (ATR 2100X). Second, when the audio does come through, it only comes through the Left side of the headphones. How do I get the headphones connected so that it comes through the headset consistently and through both sides? I've tried changing the Settings and Troubleshooting the issue, but I was unsuccessful.

Thanks

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: How did I connect my headphones?

Post by steve » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm

jvd0213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:15 pm
ATR 2100X
I assume that you mean "ATR2100x-USB".

According to the audio-technica website, the ATR2100x-USB provides "direct monitoring", so there are only three items involved:
1. The mic
2. The headphones
3. USB power

First I'd suggest that you check that the headphones are working reliably with a different sound source (for example, with a CD player). Pay particular attention to the headphone cable and ensure that they don't cut out if you wiggle the cable.

If the headphones appear to be OK, try again with the headphones plugged into the mic. Check that the headphone plug is secure in the microphone's headphone socket. Check that the microphone USB lead is plugged in securely at both the mic and computer ends. Check that the headphones don't crackle or cut out when the cables are gently wiggled.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Left-only can mean you didn't push the headphone connector in all the way.

The first connection that establishes when you push goes to the left earpiece.

That, of course, has never happened to me.

Koz

jvd0213
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by jvd0213 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:56 pm

I checked all the connections. I'm able to hear myself through the headphones now, but I'm getting really bad and distorted audio playback. I've gone to 'Edit', 'Preferences', 'Recording' and unchecked the (overdub) box to see if that would help. I'm still getting the distorted audio. Troubleshooting isn't fixing the issue either. I'm using the 2.4.2 version.

Thanks

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 am

Please post a short audio sample in WAV format (about 6 seconds) and we may be able to see what the problem is.
(See: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=72887)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)