how to to find out what has been done to a piece of the recording in the past

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
robyn2020
Operating System: Windows 10

how to to find out what has been done to a piece of the recording in the past

Post by robyn2020 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:21 am

I am not sure how to describe the situation, but -

I want one vocal track to have the same effects as another that I recorded and edited days before - even though I do not know exactly how much of which certain effect was used.

Is there a way I can see how much distortion/reverb/compression a piece of the recording has? I want to find out what has been done to a clip in the past.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: how to to find out what has been done to a piece of the recording in the past

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 am

No, and we can't take effects, filters, or corrections out, either. That's the sister question.

If you didn't close Audacity between the two sessions, you might be able to Edit > UNDO and take notes.

Many of the effects freeze their settings from application to application. So if you can at least remember close, you can open up the effects you "probably" used and write down the numbers.

For example, if you know you applied Filter Curve, the last known correction will still be in there. You are going to have serious troubles if you don't remember the order.

This isn't a big deal if all you did was change the volume or something simple like that, but Distortion, Compression, Reverb and the associates are complex, non-linear effects and there's no good way to backtrack.

Sorry.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: how to to find out what has been done to a piece of the recording in the past

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:43 am

You can post 10 seconds of before and after sound and see if anyone here can guess what you did.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=72887

Koz