Cant Record With Audacity 2.4.2

When I try to record I get a message that says "error opening recording device, error code: 0 success.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Edited to add that I am using windows 10.

What are you trying to record?
What equipment are you using?
What are your settings in the Device Toolbar?

I want to record some albums to CD’s, but right now I am just doing a test trying to record from youtube. On the left side of the device toolbar is mme, and all the way on the right is speaker/headphone, but the 2 boxes in the middle are blank.

I am just doing a test trying to record from youtube.

Use [u]WASAPI (loopback)[/u] to record streaming audio. In this case you are capturing the audio before it’s sent out of your soundcard to the speakers.

I want to record some albums

Vinyl records, I assume? That’s more of a “normal” recording/digitizing situation where you’re recording the sound coming into your soundcard from a microphone or some other analog source. [u]Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD[/u].

**What hardware do you have?**Do you have a stereo with a turntable and line outputs (a “tape-out” or “record-out”)? Do you have a computer with a regular soundcard and line-inputs (usually color coded blue)? Or do you have a turntable with a USB port?

to CD’s,

Audacity can make WAV files, but then you’ll need different software to burn a CD.

Yes, it is vinyl records. My turntable is hooked to a receiver, and I have recorded in the past from the receiver to the computer. I can’t remember whether it was from the headphone jack on the receiver to the computer, or from the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver. Once the music is recorded to the computer, I have a program to burn CD’s.

I can’t remember whether it was from the headphone jack on the receiver to the computer, or from the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver.

Either of those will work as long as the RCA jacks are outputs. :wink: The RCA jacks might be better. (A headphone-output is about the same signal voltage as a line-output depending on the volume control, but the the headphone output is capable of driving a lower-impedance load.)

And you do need a line input on the computer. Most laptops have only mic-in and headphone-out. A line-level signal is 100 to 1000 times stronger than a mic signal so the mic input won’t work properly (and the mic input is usually mono and often noisy/low-quality). If your computer doesn’t have a line input you’ll need a USB audio interface with line inputs.

For best results when recording from an analog source select the actual recording device, not “loopback”.