How to isolate/remove a sound wave

Hello there, I been using audacity for few months to a year now in creating “voiceover” recordings of my game playing adventures, and attaching those to my game recordings in making YT videos… simple stuff.

NOW? I’m trying to venture into more audio manipulation improving, and I don’t know if what I want to do is possible!? Please help!

Win 10, Audacity 2.4.2. Played a game of Civilization VI months ago, wanted to use a INTRO recording of an in game voiceover reading the description of my Civilization while waiting for game to load. Upon hearing the recording, I hear a much louder tone of fore ground music, Civilization epic choir sounding music for game. I can barely hear a faint noise in the back ground of the voiceover from in game, talking. I know in game, when I was playing, using the Windows/XBOX Gamebar for recording the game, but I was in the game, I could hear the “voiceover” clearly, even though the Choir music was still playing. However, in listening to this “recording” now, trying to use it in my video editor Shotcut program, the voice is so faint, you can barely make out the words.
Can I use Audacity to analyse the recording, and seperate the different sound waves and extract (or at minimum, increase the sound level) to balance it with the music level? and than export that as new MP3 to use in Shotcut? The purpose, when making my videos, is to use that intro screen to my civilization on every videos starting, so everyone knows what civ I use during video, and the features it has (must understand the game to know what I’m referring to), but I can’t use to that intention with the voiceover so quiet. If I try to increase the volume, it only increases the Choir bit as well, only thing I can think of is isolating the two sound waves from eachother so I can increase the voiceover volume without the choir volume.

Thanks,
Derek
americanman_4_life

Can I use Audacity to analyse the recording, and seperate the different sound waves and extract (or at minimum, increase the sound level) to balance it with the music level?

Audacity can’t split apart a mixed performance into individual voices, instruments, or sounds.

You may be able to produce this custom mix by playing the game and recording that like you normally do, but do it into headphones. Then record your voice commentary on a separate computer or sound recorder.

That’s an H1n sound recorder

Prepare a sound file of your voice, open both up in Audacity and mix them into the final show. That will give you individual control of the game and your voice independent of each other.

I would love to tell you that you can do this on your phone, but they make it really hard to do that with good sound quality.

Koz

Your talking about mixing my own sound or voice into the audio! I already have a way for that that works for me.

The game itself, “Civilization” when starting off game, their a voice over by one of game developers, reading a script vir batem also seen on the screen, all as a time waster while you wait for game to load. When I recorded that segment, no voice of my own, the game voice and the game background orchestra music both playing, and recorded,

In Shotcut (free video editing program), I took the video recording from game, and removed the audio wave form from the video file, keeping the audio seperately attached, but removing the video file, and exporting that as an MP3 only file. I imported that to Audacity.

Now only a sound file, I listen, and 80% what I hear is the orchestra music from the game. I can barely hear the voice from the game quoting the scripted read. My intent is to KEEP the orchestrated music sound waves, but increase the volume of the voiceover from the game, reading the scripted words. NOT of my voice.

HOW do I separate the two sound waves on one recording, so I can increase the output of one wave, while keeping the other wave at the level it’s at? So when I’m satisfied the two sound waves are balanced and I can hear the audio voice over above the music, I can re-export it back into one recording, with a louder voiceover volume, balancing the music volume?

Thanks.

no voice of my own,

I understand.

HOW do I separate the two sound waves on one recording

That’s the part that Audacity can’t do. Once you present a mixed show in one file, it’s all over.

I took the video recording from game, and removed the audio wave form from the video file, keeping the audio seperately attached, but removing the video file, and exporting that as an MP3 only file

Two problems. Never do production in MP3. Use WAV or other uncompressed sound format. Every time you do a production step in MP3, the compression damage gets worse, the sound quality does down and you can’t stop it.

If the original video had multi-channel, you need a video editor that knows how to deal with that. If the show was Dolby 5.1, Shotcut probably gave you Front-Left and Front-Right which would sound terrific, but be missing the vocals and narration which is carried on the Center Channel.

See if Shotcut can do another pass with its surround manager.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 3.45.35 PM.png
Koz