64 bit version of Audacity for Windows

Are you planning a 64 bit version of Audacity for Windows? :question:
If yes, if which version? :question:
I am tired of limitations of 32 bit architecture. :cry: i work with HUGE files most often 32 bit floating point with 384 khz sampling rate on a dual xeon workstation with 48 gb of ram in triple channel. I fill the limitations of 32 bit architecture very fast and i need more freedom to work freely and more efficient use of my hardwre. :wink:

It’s possible that the next release version may be a 64-bit build, though I don’t think there has been a decision about that yet.
The main downside of making it 64-bit, is that it won’t run on 32-bit machines (whereas a 32-bit build will work fine on either 32-bit or 64-bit machines).

Why? Because it’s a big number so it must be better?
Perhaps worth watching this video before you start your next project: Xiph.Org Video Presentations: Digital Show & Tell

What benefits are you expecting from a 64-bit build?

Q: I fill the limitations of 32 bit architecture very fast
What benefits are you expecting from a 64-bit build?

A: I hit frequently the 4gb workable memory limit that can be addressed by 32 bits

Q: 384 khz sampling rate
Why? Because it’s a big number so it must be better?
Perhaps worth watching this video before you start your next project:

A: not my choice of sampling rate. it comes like this, it goes like this. i am paid to work on it as it is. it comes like this, work it, save it, give it as it comes. not my call.

• The main downside of making it 64-bit, is that it won’t run on 32-bit machines (whereas a 32-bit build will work fine on either 32-bit or 64-bit machines).

• both version can be made and maintained. the world is going 64 bit. 32 bits is now things of the past, legacy being dragged for backward compatibility, it does not mean it is fast or efficient. 32 bit app is not as efficient on top of 64 bit cpu with 64 bit OS, i do no want more complexities like translation and emulation. i like things as simple as possible - 64 bit cpu, 64 bit os 64 bit app - neat, clean, efficient fast.

How do you do that? Most operations in Audacity require very little RAM.

Perhaps not as “clean” as you think. On 64-bit Windows a C++ standard “long integer” is still only 32-bit. (On 64-bit Linux a long integer is 64-bit).

Should i understand that a 64 bit version of audacity for windows is not coming any time soon? Yet the vast majority of people use windows, and this same majority will benefit the most from 64 bit version. Linux users and Mac users taken togethet represent a minoriry of users, on the numbers next to insignificant, but they receive full 64 bit version?

Apple have completely dropped support for 32-bit apps. If Microsoft follow suit, then we will drop 32-bit Windows builds and release 64-bit builds for Windows, as we did for macOS.

We don’t provide binaries for Linux, just the source code.

This post is not hate or flame or being rude or disrespectful in any way. This post is my honest opinion about a once superior product, which became inferior. Are there any 32 bit computers still working? Last 32 bit comouter are now dying breed, the materials used already show signs of age fatigue, and it is not clear for how long they will work, intil they begin to fail because It is aged hardware platform long since retired and obsoleted by the industry. Well Windows 11, will be 64 bits only, and for now, i reverted to latest versions of adobe audition. Ot is long years, since Windows xp has shown reliable 64 bit OS and so on, it it years since cou’s in sale are native 64 bit, Latest versions are 64 bits now and allow better management of available resources. currently i am using dual xeon x5690 with 32 gb ram, upgrade to 48 gb is in near future, the os i use now is Windows 10 pro for workstations, 21H1, and with the upgrade to Windows 10 pro for workstations 21H2 i will upgrade the ram to 48 gb. Basically i am abandoning Audacity because authors maintain old and retired platforms, obsoleted by intel, amd and hardware industry around intel and amd, apple has abandoned 32 bits, now microsoft has abandoned 32 bits, and refuse to migrate their product to current generation platforms, therefore i am loosing performance, and i suffer limitatuons in 32 bit software, that are not present in 64 bit software. Once Audacity becomes a proper native 64 bit app i will give it another chance. And ignoring the vast majority of users, and keeping them on retired old platform, is not a proper way to stay side by side with competitors. You lost me to your competitors, who offer what the majority benefits from, but you don’t. Thanks for nothing.

Yes. According to pcbenchmarks.net there’s an estimated 1.4 to 6 million of them (as of 18th of July 2021). I’ve even got a couple myself :wink:

Latest news is that the next Audacity release will be available as a native 64-bit app for Windows.

You’re welcome.

This 64-bit 3.0.3 RC02 PRE-RELEASE is available here today at: Audacity devel download latest version

Note, it should not be used for production work.

We can confirm that the next release of Audacity 3.0.3 will be 64 bit.

Thanks!

Ver 3.0.3 will be 64 bit :grinning:? this is excellent news. :smile:

Yes. Well actually, this is no longer news. 3.0.3 which included both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows has been out for a quite a while now. The current version of Audacity is 3.0.5 which you can download here: Audacity ® | Downloads

3.0.4 and 3.0.5 contain important fixes to problems that occurred with 3.0.0 and 3.0.2.

And stay tuned… 3.1.0 is due out, possibly in October. The 1st Beta for 3.1.0 is available now: Releases · audacity/audacity · GitHub
Note: do NOT use Beta releases for production work.