Huffmann data overrun

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Har_ch_12
Operating System: Windows 10

Huffmann data overrun

Post by Har_ch_12 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 am

Hello,
since a few days I have the messages "huffmann data overrun" when I load a mp3 file.
Windows sytem: Win 10 home 2004
audacity: 2.4.2
Attachments
huffmann_data_overrun.jpg
huffmann_data_overrun.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 11244 times

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Huffmann data overrun

Post by steve » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm

The message "huffman data overrun" is an error message from the MP3 importer "libmad", which indicates there is an encoding error in that MP3 file. Previous versions of Audacity ignored MP3 errors, but some errors in importing files can cause unpredictable problems in the Audacity project, so Audacity no longer ignores errors reported by libmad.

Where did the file come from?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Apprentice 2 SA
Operating System: Please select

Post by Apprentice 2 SA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am

I have a similar issue. (using 2.4.2 on Win 10)

The last answer implies that Huffmann data overrun is the response when the MP3 in question is not ideal for Audacity, but that it still could be used. It implies that a decision has been made to give the error dialogue box rather than risk a future problem with the project.

So is there a way to say to Audacity: "I take that risk" Use this mp3 anyway.

Failing that, what's the most up to date version of Audacity that doesn't have that Huffman feature and will accept the mp3.

(It's a while since I posted here and I can't remember if you would have preferred a new post for a new person. I'll obviously do that if wanted!)

Thanks.

Apprentice 2 SA

Post by Apprentice 2 SA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:18 am

steve wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm
The message "huffman data overrun" is an error message from the MP3 importer "libmad", which indicates there is an encoding error in that MP3 file. Previous versions of Audacity ignored MP3 errors, but some errors in importing files can cause unpredictable problems in the Audacity project, so Audacity no longer ignores errors reported by libmad.

Where did the file come from?
I have a similar issue. (using 2.4.2 on Win 10)

The last answer implies that Huffmann data overrun is the response when the MP3 in question is not ideal for Audacity, but that it still could be used. It implies that a decision has been made to give the error dialogue box rather than risk a future problem with the project.

So is there a way to say to Audacity: "I take that risk" Use this mp3 anyway.

Failing that, what's the most up to date version of Audacity that doesn't have that Huffman feature and will accept the mp3.

(It's a while since I posted here and I can't remember if you would have preferred a new post for a new person. I'll obviously do that if wanted!)

Thanks.

(Trying to get quotes right. Sorry if this comes out twice.)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:20 am

You could try decoding it to WAV with another application (such as foobar2000) then if that works, import the WAV into Audacity (foobar2000 can also do batch conversions, and is an excellent audio player).

Apprentice 2 SA

Post by Apprentice 2 SA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 am

steve wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:20 am
You could try decoding it to WAV with another application (such as foobar2000) then if that works, import the WAV into Audacity (foobar2000 can also do batch conversions, and is an excellent audio player).
Thanks. I've downloaded Foobar and the mp3 plays fine in that. I can't see a "save as WAV" or "decode to WAV" option.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 am

Apprentice 2 SA wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 am
Thanks. I've downloaded Foobar and the mp3 plays fine in that. I can't see a "save as WAV" or "decode to WAV" option.
See: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... :Converter

Apprentice 2 SA

Post by Apprentice 2 SA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:10 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 am
Apprentice 2 SA wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 am
See: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... :Converter
Thanks, Steve. Is there loss of quality doing that? Is it better just to play the file and let Audacity record it? Or should I try and find a previous version of Audacity? Thanks.

Edit: I've decided to have a go with version 2.0.6 It's just imported the file perfectly. Of course I may have problems with my editing and exporting afterwards, but we'll see. Thanks so much for the help.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by DVDdoug » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Is there loss of quality doing that?
No. MP3 is lossy compression but information is thrown-away during compression and no further damage happens during decompression. (It's going to be decompressed when you play it or open it in Audacity anyway.)
Is it better just to play the file and let Audacity record it?
If you use the WASAPI-loopback method you shouldn't get a loss of quality that way either (assuming no glitches/dropouts).

There IS (theoretical) quality loss if you re-compress to MP3 again. The same would happen if were able to open the MP3 in Audacity (or any normal audio editor) and then export to MP3 again. The MP3 gets decompressed when you open it and you are going though another generation of lossy compression when you export it. And, damage does accumulate.

Depending on what kind of editing you're doing, mp3DirectCut can do some limited editing without decompressing the file (assuming it doesn't have trouble opening your file).

Apprentice 2 SA

Post by Apprentice 2 SA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 pm

DVDdoug wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:39 pm
Is there loss of quality doing that?
No. MP3 is lossy compression but information is thrown-away during compression and no further damage happens during decompression. (It's going to be decompressed when you play it or open it in Audacity anyway.)
Is it better just to play the file and let Audacity record it?
If you use the WASAPI-loopback method you shouldn't get a loss of quality that way either (assuming no glitches/dropouts).

There IS (theoretical) quality loss if you re-compress to MP3 again. The same would happen if were able to open the MP3 in Audacity (or any normal audio editor) and then export to MP3 again. The MP3 gets decompressed when you open it and you are going though another generation of lossy compression when you export it. And, damage does accumulate.

Depending on what kind of editing you're doing, mp3DirectCut can do some limited editing without decompressing the file (assuming it doesn't have trouble opening your file).
Thanks for the help. I've always wondered if there's loss in reediting an MP3.