Debug report

Every time I try to open Audacity I get this debug report, and after I click “Ok” I get another message saying that the report has been made, what else can I do to get my Audacity to work?
Screenshot (25).jpg
Screenshot (23).jpg

Does this occur immediately on launch, or only after you do something?

I have had the app for a some time now, I’ve worked with it before, then I stopped using it, and now that I tried to use it again this report starts showing. I’ve already reinstalled the app selecting the “reset preferences” and it did not work.

Please post the “log.txt (Audacity Log)”

I’ve selected the “log” option several times but the report continues to show
Screenshot (27).jpg
Screenshot (26).jpg

In the first picture from your last post, with “log.txt (Audacity Log)” selected, click the “View” button. That should open the log in your text editor and allow you to copy and paste from the log into your reply.

This is what happens when I click “view”, and when I click open the same thing happens nothing appears.
Screenshot (28).jpg

That’s unfortunate - not very helpful :wink:

Try downloading the latest version of Audacity (See: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/)

Ensure that Audacity is not running.
Run the installer, and look out for the option to “Reset Preferences”.
Ensure that option is selected (enabled).

Hopefully, on first run, you will be prompted to confirm resetting Preferences. Confirm, and then Audacity will (hopefully) start.

I have already done that, and nothing works.

Does that mean:

You get exactly the same error as before?
You get a different error?
Nothing visibly happens at all when you try to launch Audacity?
Something else?

I keep getting the same “debug report”

Please attach the full debug report. The message window tells you where the report file is located (“C:\Users\asira.…”)

I get the same exact debug report, nothing changes at all

I am having the same problem. I downloaded Audacity 2.42 for Windows 10, and when I run it the startup screen comes on, but if I try to do ANYTHING, the debug report screen appears. I went to the log file, and here are the problems. HELP!

15:38:36: Audacity 2.1.3
15:38:36: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries…
15:38:36: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is ‘avformat-55.dll’.
15:38:36: Looking up PATH environment variable…
15:38:36: PATH = ‘C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;’
15:38:36: Checking that ‘’ is in PATH…
15:38:36: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
15:38:36: Checking for monolithic avformat from ‘avformat-55.dll’.
15:38:36: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avformat-55.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
15:38:36: Loading avutil from ‘’.
15:38:36: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
15:38:36: Loading avcodec from ‘’.
15:38:36: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
15:38:36: Loading avformat from ‘avformat-55.dll’.
15:38:36: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avformat-55.dll’ (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
15:38:36: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
15:38:36: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.
15:39:32: Error: File ‘C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData\project28123\e00\d04’ couldn’t be removed (error 5: access is denied.)
15:39:32: Error: File ‘C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData\project28123\e00’ couldn’t be removed (error 5: access is denied.)
15:39:32: Error: File ‘C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData\project28123’ couldn’t be removed (error 5: access is denied.)

Are you are logged in as “Brian”?
Check the folder: "C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData" and ensure that you can read and write to it.

There is no directory ‘C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData\project28123.’ Should I create it? And yes am logged in as Brian

That explains why Audacity can’t read from it.

No. That won’t fix anything because you would also need to recreate all of the files that were in that folder.

Reboot your computer, then:
Open the hidden folder:

Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Roaming\\audacity\\

and delete these three files:

• audacity.cfg
  • pluginregistry.cfg
  • pluginsettings.cfg

You may not be able to view the AppData directory because Windows hides it.

To make AppData visible, in File Explorer, click on the View tab, then check the box labelled “Hidden Items”.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Hi Steve and Jademan,
Thanks for your responses. I made those hidden files visible, and there is a directory C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData but there is nothing in it. I deleted those files you suggested, Steve, then tried running Audacity, and got the same error, and those three files were recreated.

What now?

Thank you again for your help,
Brian

As a test, see if you can create a new file (“untitled.txt”) in the folder “C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData”