Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, recording device and the project sample rate

Sorry, I’m so confused. I have a Cassette To MP3 Converter “device” (if you will) a very simple, hold in the palm of you hand type thing that is meant to play the cassette into Audacity, where I am able to convert the entire mixed tape into a file and save it to my computer (or burn to CD, whatever my preference) It worked fine when I first got it. Now I am getting the above error message when I try to play a cassette with the intention of recording it to my computer as an MP3. All of the FAQs are super high tech, producer, professional recording type questions & I’m just a guy wanting to convert my old mix tapes & listen to them. I don’t even know if anyone can help. I have downloaded the most recent version of Audacity to my computer, and initially, the microphone on my computer was turned On and therefore recording room sound and not playing the audio cassette. I can’t find “audio host” in any of the manuals or FAQs to “change the audio host” as indicated in the error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Really? Nothing? No help for a novice, huh? Thanks guys.

…It’s almost never a sample rate problem. The drivers are supposed to take care of any required sample rate conversion.

First, make sure you’ve selected the USB device as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. That same toolbar has the audio host options. The audio host is a protocol or communication standard for how the application (Audacity) communicates with the driver. Any/all of the choices should work because those things use the Microsoft-supplied drivers.

If you haven’t done so already, try a different USB cable. Or, the cassette player may simply be defective. Those things are cheaply made and lots of people seem to have trouble with them.

You can also try re-installing the driver which will sometimes fix strange problems -

Right-click Windows Start icon and open the Device Manager.
Open Universal Serial Bus Controllers (at the bottom of the list).
Right-click on the USB audio device and select Uninstall Device.
Unplug and re-plug the USB and the driver should automatically re-install and sometimes it will reset-reconfigure the driver and start working.)

I’m having a problem with this error message too. Just yesterday everything was working correctly. Today I’m receiving this message. Can anyone help? I’m trying to record sound from Spotify into Audacity. I have my audio host set to Windows WASAPI, the recording device to my Speakers Realtek (R) Audio loopback, in Stereo, and the same Speakers Realtek (R) Audio for my playback device. I’m very new at this and have no idea why it worked yesterday but not today. Hoping a kind soul will take pity on a newbie and help me out. Thank you, in advance.

This all sounds correct; however, I wouldn’t actually have Audacity putting anything out to the speakers so make sure both software playthrough and overdub are turned off in Edit > Preferences > Recording.

If you are still having problems, check Audacity’s Project Rate is the same as Windows: run mmsys.cpl, then on the both the Playback and Recording tabs for your device, Properties > Advanced > Default Rate. All three rates should be the same (usually 44100 or 48000). Also, make sure the number of recording channels (1 = mono, 2 = stereo) is consistent.

Thank you for this!