headphone correction possible

Hi,
I know Audacity is not a DAW. But even for EQing within Audacity I need to trust to my speakers or headphones.

There is a pretty nice plugin from ToneBoosters called Morphit which holds 280 headphone profiles for headphone correction.
(https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html)
But how to implement into Audacity?

As far I see, Audacity has no Output-DSP/EQ .

Any tricks around?

Regards Ralf

If you have the frequency-response of the headphones, draw it in here, then invert the curve.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/filter_curve.html

After you’ve finished adjusting by-ear using those headphones,
apply the frequency-response curve of the headphones, before sending the audio to the customer.

Thanx for jumping in with your ideas, Trevor.

Well, that’ a way - but it’s not very transparent and comfortable. And if I change from headphone to speaker an vice versa I have to redo an do it again all over my project until I get lost. No sorry, I don’t think this is a real productive option. A workaround, yes.

So if no other technical tricks work, is there any chance of feature request for an output DSP, where I can switch between different speakter / headphone correction profiles. Or just involve the beforementioned headphone correction plugin?

There’s no real substitute when mixing, for good quality, flat response, studio monitors or studio headphones. Anything else is an inferior workaround.

Well, that sounds reasonable. But we are in the amateur department and for EQing a podcast or a lecture I think decent studio equipment for monitoring is way off, at least for me. And given the fact that Audacity is capable of defining an handling equalizers, why not put one into the listenening output. At my guess it could be a jump forward. A small jump perhaps. And inferior. But a step forward.

But in the end I have to follow your experience, I’m new in that here.

Sometimes your computer will have a soundcard/driver utility that includes EQ or other enhancements.

Or, maybe one of [u]these[/u] will work.

Or, you could get a hardware equalizer for about $100 USD (plus you’d need a headphone amplifier since these things are line-level).

You can get decent headphones starting at around $100 USD and very-good headphones in the $200-$300 range. (Beyond that you’ll quickly get into diminishing returns and you might even prefer the sound of the less expensive model. Unless you’re an “audiophile”… Audiophiles usually prefer whatever costs more! :wink: ) For example, the Sennheiser HD280 is $100 and it has a good reputation, or there are others with good reputations in that price range.

Your headphones/monitors should be "good’ but they don’t have to be “perfect” and in fact almost every headphone/monitor/speaker will sound different. Most pros get very familiar with their monitors, then they have one or more reference tracks to “keep their ears calibrated”, and they learn how to make a good mix/production on their particular monitors. Finally they check the mix on a variety of other systems, but you may not have the time to do that with lectures/podcasts.

Most experts will tell you not to use headphones as your primary monitors, but for voice/podcast they are probably OK, and possibly your best choice if you don’t have good monitors and a good room.

why not put one into the listenening output. At my guess it could be a jump forward. A small jump perhaps. And inferior. But a step forward.

“Real time effects” are a common request, but usually people want them during recording/monitoring. I.e. With a DAW (or a hardware monitoring setup), it’s common to put “confidence reverb” in a singer’s monitor mix even if there is no reverb added to the actual recording at that time.

What you’re trying to do is a “system wide correction”, not something just for Audacity. In the pro world, monitor/room correction is usually done in hardware. IMO - Something like that built-into Audacity could cause more trouble than it’s worth because you wouldn’t hear the actual production. i.e. If you make an MP3 or CD, etc., it’s going to sound different when played on Windows Media Player, etc. than what you’re hearing from Audacity.

Hi DVDdoug,

thanx for your profund input here. Maybe I’ll ave a look at the HD280. Actually I own the HD201, quite a cheap one, which wasn’t meant for EQing, but which was handy.

I see your point regarding a systemwide solution. But as you said about my old headphone, chances are that I more like the sound of my old headphone when listening to the readymade and exported project than with a more audiophile one
But when I’m doing the EQ within Audacity, then not my headphone flavour is the reference - but “the” reference. Most of the audio player come with output EQ for personal use. I don’t see the big deal to add one into audacity. Sure, you must know when to use the right speaker/headphone-profile, otherwise you will mess things up.

Better equipment is always a plus but even Sennheiser headphones will have frequencies that need correction.

Check out AutoEQ
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

They have thousands of headphone eq profiles and give recommendations for system wide equalizers for all platforms.

(They recommend Equalizer APO and Peace for Windows)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

I went through this on my linux box using PulseEffects and it works great.
FYI, you do not need to download AutoEQ unless you want to build the code and generate your own EQ settings.

I am using Audacity 2.4.2