crackling

I recently bought a new mic and voice modulating software (the mic is snowball blue ice, and the modulating software is voicemod pro).I use Audacity to record scary story narrations and have never had this problem before. Basically, when im running the software and record, upon playback there is crackling and skips, sonds similare to if you were playinga slightly scratched record on a turn table. I’ve played arond with the settings, changing the bits and Hz (44100 Hz, 16-bit) to match that of my mic settings, turned to the fastest quality on the settings, reduced the milliseconds buffer in the settings. These have slightly bettered the problem but I’m still experiencing too much crackling to be able to record a acceptable narration, whenever im not using the modulating software i dont get the crackling, but whenever I try to use it the playback is full of this problem. What can I do to fix this issue?
My Audacity is 2.1.2 and I’m using an HP Envy with Windows 10 and 16gb RAM

The first thing you should do is update to the latest version of Audacity which is 2.3.0 (with 2.3.1 due out next month).

You can get it from here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

WC

The voicemod isn’t doing anything difficult, but it could be interrupting Audacity, creating crackling.
Try increasing the CPU-priority of Audacity from “normal” to “above normal”, (but no higher),
to lower the odds of it being interrupted.

how do i increase he priority of audacity? im not very tech-y

I’ve downloaded the latest Audacity, and set my audacity priorityto above normal which still hasnt solved the problem, when I’m recording with the Voicemod it still picks up the crackling constantly upon playback.