Losing User Presets

Hi, I am using version 2.3.0.

In the Audacity effects, the Manage User Presets is no longer working.

I have saved all my favourite presets in EQ, Compressor and Limiter. However, now, when I open my presets in the user presets menu, nothing changes.

It was all working fine until I loaded a VST plug suite this morning called ERA by Accusonus (which I have now deleted). I’m not sure if the two events are related or not.

Has anyone else encountered their User Presets disappearing?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Trainer

The Audacity plugin settings are stored in a document called “pluginsettings.cfg”.
If you delete that they’re gone, and a new empty version will be created.

Now the good news: there could be a backup of the EQ curves, see …

Greetings

Thank you for your help. I did as you suggested today. The user presets all seem to be working fine now.

However, the problem persists only in the equalizer effect. My user presets make absolutely no difference to my recording. I deleted them and recreated them, but no change.

I even went into Roaming/Audacity and deleted the EQ curves files. It didn’t make any difference.

I hope this makes sense. Am I the only user to experience this?

Thanks so much for your help. Audacity is my go-to audio editor, and I do a lot of editing.

Trainer

The “EQBackup” file doesn’t kick-in automatically :
you have to make a copy of “EQBackup” [in Roaming/Audacity] and rename that copy “EQcurves” …

Replace ''EQCurves'' with a copy of ''EQBackup''.gif
[ BTW rather than delete files, rename them instead, e.g. add “-old” to their name,
then you have the option of reinstating by renaming the file with its original name.
If you delete a file it’s usually gone forever ].

There’s a bug logged on the Audacity bug tracker (Audacity 2.3.0):

Description:

In “Draw” mode, does not retain settings when a preset is selected though it does retain settings that are created manually.

Presets in “Manage” button don’t work.
“Factory” preset (under “Manage” button) is unpredictable.

Marked as P1 because Equalization is an important effect for most use cases.

Steps to reproduce:

In “Draw” mode, does not retain settings when a preset is selected though it does retain settings that are created manually.

Does this sound like the issue that you are seeing Trainer?

This bug has now been fixed. The next Audacity release is scheduled for January.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that sounds pretty much what I’m experiencing.

I wondered if it might be a bug. Well done to the team for finding it, and I really look forward to the update.

Thanks so much for your work.

Kind regards