El Capitan

Earlier this year I could play an LP through Mac OS X 11.6 into Audacity from an ION TT, get a recording on Audacity and proceed to store or process it for CD almost without thinking. I’ve been away from my computer and haven’t used it for this purpose since May. Now, simply, I can’t. I refollowed the Audacity setup procedure from the Audacity site, re- checked everything. No recording, though line input clearly functioned as it should and a signal was reaching the “sound” indicator on Mac System Preferences, as is described in the instructions. No monitoring visible on Audacity 2.3.0 itself. Apple claim they would never modify my operating system without my consent (!), and argue that my hardware is too old for them to support - both claims are unconvincing, but they get direct Apple responders off the hook. The current support manual Audacity documents are noticeably silent about Mac. What is going on?

What’s the machine? I’m typing this on an Early 2015 MacBook Air.

I’ve been doing this Mac thing for a while and while Apple makes upgrading very convincing and convenient, I’ve never had a forced upgrade.

It’s probably not a system problem. If you have the bouncing sound meter in System Preferences, Audacity should work. When was the last time you shut the machine down? Not Restart, but Apple > Shutdown…

Koz

If your Mac has a built-in microphone, can you record from that?

Koz

LP through Mac OS X 11.6

El Capitan is OS X 10.11.6, not 11.6. You should be careful of accuracy when you post for help. Don’t abbreviate or use buzzword shortcuts.

Koz

OS X 10 11.6, then. Shutting down has no effect on this problem. Apple thinks my machine - (a late 2008 Pro, (for which they recommended El Capitan as an upgrade, though they now think El capitan - two years old? - is an obsolete OS, and treat as as old as the hardware 0which does everything else I ask it to) is far too old for them to discuss. Broadcast radio as audio source will record on Audacity, from broadcast, but not from -e.g.- iPlayer. Equally I can manage to record from LP by using a trial version of something called Vinyl Source, which I didn’t previously know, but the editing isn’t as flexible as Audacity.

Charlecote125,

You accidently posted on the Windows forum (and I don’t have a Mac).

Moderator note: I move this to the Mac Forum

Virtually all USB turntables (and USB cassette players) are “USB class compliant” so they are plug-and-play with the drivers supplied by Microsoft or Apple. If the hardware is working (turntable, cable, and USB port) you should be able to record from it. You may have to re-configure OS X and/or Audacity to record from the USB device but it’s better if a Mac user helps you with that.

Equally I can manage to record from LP by using a trial version of something called Vinyl Source, which I didn’t previously know, but the editing isn’t as flexible as Audacity.

If you save/export to WAV (or AIFF) you can open the audio file in Audacity for editing.