How to install the ACX-check plug-in in Windows 7

How do I either place the ACX-check plug-in file where Audacity will find it, or point Audacity to where the file is?

I found a reply for this that pointed to a manual link -but I did not find that link useful. Please don’t just paste that link as a reply.

What isn’t working:
I downloaded the file Acx-check.ny
I follow the Audacity menu: Analyze|add/remove plug-ins

This the add/remove plug-ins menu shows a pre-filled list. ACX-check isn’t on the list. I didn’t expect it would be. Some links for how to install plug-ins seem to assume the plug-in I want will be on the pre-filled list. Of course, the ACX plug-in is not on that list.
I select “new” and that list is blank. I expect it would be. Some links for how to install plug-ins assume the “new” list will find the file I downloaded. It doesn’t.

So, How do I either place the file where Audacity will find it, or point Audacity to where the file is?

You already have the location in Analyze rather than Effect.

Did your download “help you out” by renaming the file acx-check.ny.txt? Windows would have helpfully hidden the .txt part to avoid confusing you and thereby leaving you befuddled.

You can Google how to force Windows to show you filename extensions. It should be possible to just rename the file back.

General question: Didn’t Windows Get INFO used to show you the real filename? Does it still?

Koz