All speaker sounds are echoey

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Bear
Operating System: Windows 10

All speaker sounds are echoey

Post by Bear » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi,

First time user of Audacity, been trying to record sounds coming from the speakers of the PC.

After a bit if trial and error i have set the Audio Host to Windows WASAPI and the Recording device to Stereo Mix (after enabling as a microphone). Whilst this does now record when I click record, all sounds that are coming from the speakers are echoey and therefore useless. This is also the case when I am not using Audacity.

Is there a setting that I am missing as if I turn the microphone off I cant record and if I disable the speakers I cant hear anything or record.

Thanks

Bear
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: All speaker sounds are echoey

Post by Bear » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Found the setting.

For anyone else that has this issue, in the microphone properties and the listen tab there is a Listen to this Device checkbox that I unchecked.

Thanks