popping

Hi, I’m using Windows 10 and Audacity 2.3.0.

I’ve been using Windows “Voice Recorder” to record our Pastor’s message at Church. But Obviously, I could do much more editing with Audacity.

The problem I have is the recorded sound with Audacity has a lot of what sounds like “electrical cracking” heard during playback.

I’m using the exact same sound equipment with both programs.

In addition, the test recordings I’ve done at home with Audacity (on two occasions) play back just fine with absolutely no noise at all.

Is there any thing you can think of that I might be over looking.

One more thing, I’ve also tested at church with StudioOne and Nuendo with no problems. But those programs would be expensive to purchase for the Church.
Thanks so much y’all

I’ve been using Windows “Voice Recorder” to record our Pastor’s message at Church. But Obviously, I could do much more editing with Audacity.

After recording, you can open the WAV file in Audacity for editing (I assume it’s a WAV file).

Try increasing the [u]Latency/Buffer Length[/u].

Or, there are a couple other suggestions [u]here[/u].

…Most “glitches” are related to the multitasking operating system (which is always multitasking even if you’re only running one application). When you record, the digital audio data flows into a buffer (like a storage tank) at a smooth-constant rate. Whenever the operating system gets around to it, it reads the buffer and writes to the disk in a quick-burst. If the buffer doesn’t get read in time you get buffer overflow and a glitch.

Playback/monitoring is the opposite with a buffer being written-to in a quick burst and the audio data flows-out at a smooth-constant rate. With playback, the danger is buffer underflow.

The ONLY downside to a bigger buffer is more latency (more delay). And, that’s only a problem if you are monitoring yourself while speaking/singing/playing and getting a delay/echo in your headphones.