Don't have WASAPI loopback recording device [SOLVED]

I’m trying to record internal audio on Win 10 with Audacity 2.2.2. I’ve set the audio host to Windows WASAPI. I should see a recording device that is loopback but I see none. The playback device on the PC is Speaker/HP - Realtek High Definition Audio". When I choose it, I get this error: “Error opening sound device. I tried changing the audio host, recording device and project sample rate.” I’ve tried changing the rate, no joy. What do I need to do?

Thanks, Bill

This is strange because I’m pretty sure WASAPI loopback is built-into Windows 7 and later…

I should see a recording device that is loopback but I see none.

On my computer it was there but I had to drag the toolbar to right to see the “loopback” part.

The playback device on the PC is Speaker/HP - Realtek High Definition Audio". When I choose it, I get this error: "Error opening sound device.

Are there any other playback device choices?

I tried changing the audio host

Loopback is only a WASAPI. Direct Sound may offer “Stereo Mix”. Or, [u]this page[/u] has some other suggestions for recording the sound coming out of the computer, including some 3rd-party applications.

I dragged to the right, not there.

Besides speaker there is a mic, which works as expected, recording mic input.

It seems there sb a ws audio driver on my PC buti don’t see one. I’ve looked around at length and don’t see how to get / enable it.

What is “sb a ws”?

From the Audacity Help menu, select:
“Help > Diagnostics > Audio Device Info”.

When the info window appears, click on the “Save” button and save the info somewhere convenient (such as the Desktop), and then attach it to your reply. See here for how to attach files to forum posts: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

It seems there sb a ws audio driver on my PC buti don’t see one

What I meant was that, after looking around a bunch, I saw references to a PC audio driver called (something like) ws_audio. I don’t have any such driver.

Attached is the audio info you requested.
audacityinfo.txt (4.47 KB)

1. Close and restart Audacity (or just launch Audacity if it’s not currently running).
  2. Set the “Project Rate” to 48000 (bottom left corner of the main Audacity window)
  3. Start playing some sound from your web browser.
  4. Click the Record button in Audacity

Thanks. I did that, no joy. Here’s a screenshot of how I have it set up.
audacityscreenshot.png

Set the number of channels in the device toolbar to “2 (stereo)”.
What happens when you click the Record button?

Ha! That did it. Thanks.