2.3.0 Debug Error

Here is the error:
TB4U5F0.png
After pressing Continue 5 times I can use the application, but this is not usable for our University computers. I’ll try reinstalling, otherwise, I’ll go back to 2.2.2 until it’s fixed or a solution is found.

How to reproduce:

1. Install 2.3.0 with 2.2.2 already installed
  2. Once finished, start the application

Log File:

16:30:14: Audacity 2.3.0
16:30:14: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries...
16:30:14: mLibAVFormatPath ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity\avformat-55.dll') is not empty. Loading from it.
16:30:14: Looking up PATH environment variable...
16:30:14: PATH = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\UCRT\;C:\Program Files\Intel\UCRT\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\PharosSystems\Core;C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;'
16:30:14: Checking that 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity' is in PATH...
16:30:14: Warning: FFmpeg directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity' is not in PATH.
16:30:14: Temporarily prepending ';C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity' to PATH...
16:30:14: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity\avformat-55.dll'.
16:30:14: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avutil_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:14: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avcodec_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:14: avformat not monolithic
16:30:14: Loading avutil from 'avutil-52.dll'.
16:30:14: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avutil-52.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
16:30:14: Loading avcodec from 'avcodec-55.dll'.
16:30:14: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avcodec-55.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
16:30:14: Loading avformat from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity\avformat-55.dll'.
16:30:14: Returning PATH to previous setting...
16:30:15: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avutil_version' in a dynamic library (error 0: The operation completed successfully.)
16:30:15: Actual avutil path 
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avcodec_version' in a dynamic library (error 0: The operation completed successfully.)
16:30:16: Actual avcodec path 
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avformat_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:16: Actual avformat path 
16:30:16: Importing symbols...
16:30:16: Error: Failed to load symbol av_register_all
16:30:16: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is 'avformat-55.dll'.
16:30:16: Looking up PATH environment variable...
16:30:16: PATH = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame For Audacity;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\UCRT\;C:\Program Files\Intel\UCRT\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\PharosSystems\Core;C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps'
16:30:16: Checking that '' is in PATH...
16:30:16: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
16:30:16: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avutil_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avcodec_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:16: avformat not monolithic
16:30:16: Loading avutil from 'avutil-52.dll'.
16:30:16: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avutil-52.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
16:30:16: Loading avcodec from 'avcodec-55.dll'.
16:30:16: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avcodec-55.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
16:30:16: Loading avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avutil_version' in a dynamic library (error 0: The operation completed successfully.)
16:30:16: Actual avutil path 
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avcodec_version' in a dynamic library (error 0: The operation completed successfully.)
16:30:16: Actual avcodec path 
16:30:16: Error: Couldn't find symbol 'avformat_version' in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
16:30:16: Actual avformat path 
16:30:16: Importing symbols...
16:30:16: Error: Failed to load symbol av_register_all
16:30:16: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.

Did you build Audacity yourself or did you install the official release version from: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

I cannot reproduce this error following the Steps to reproduce:

WC

I’m getting the same problem. Tried uninstalling V2.2.2 before installing V2.3.0 without success.
Installed using the Windows installer from the Audacity site.

Reverted to V2.2.2

Are you also installing on a network?
Do you have WxWidgets installed?

No don’t have WxWidgets.
I’m installing directly onto a computer, although the computer is connected to a network.
As stated V2.2.2 installs fine.

Is the text in the “wxWidgets Debug Alert” exactly the same as reported by DarkSwordsman ?
(it would be helpful if you could copy and paste the error message into your reply - it’s impossible to search the code without the errors as text.)

Attached is a screenshot of the message I get when I try to run V2.3.0
Audacity error.JPG

Assuming that you can get Audacity 2.3.0 to run by pressing “Continue” a few times, please post screenshots of:
“Help menu > About Audacity” (first tab)
then select the “Build Information” tab, scroll down to the bottom, and take a screenshot of that also.

Sorry for the delay, haven’t been at work for a few days.

So the issue I ran into was on a Optiplex 3050 PC. I tried 2.3.0 on a Precision 3620 that we are about to roll out and it doesn’t have any issues, works perfectly as expected.

I downloaded it from that site, and on Fosshub I selected “Installer”.

Seeing that we released that 3050 PC and it works fine with 2.2.2, I won’t really be touching it for a few days. We have to roll out these 3620s ASAP.

^^ I’ll do this when I get around to the PC.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Just installed 2.3.0 following 2.0.5 and see the same error. Elderly ZooStorm pc running Win 10.

Should be some pics attached.
Installed 2.3.0 over 2.0.5, saw error, uninstalled, reinstalled, same message.
Aud3.PNG
Aud2.PNG
Aud1.PNG

Please post the exact error message.

(Adding this here as text so that I don’t need to manually type it again:)
c:\wxwidgets-3.1.1\src\common\dynlib.cpp(102): assert ““IsLoaded()”” failed in wxDynamicLibrary::DoGetSymbol(): Can’t load symbols from unloaded library

I have just installed version 2.3.0 over 2.2.2 on my Acer laptop running current version of Windows 10. 2.2.2 has worked fine, 2.3.0 get the exact error message that MalcolmBebb has reported.

I always get the message in the screen shot attached when I open any music file.
debug.rtf (1.4 MB)

My upgrade to 2.3.0 (I believe from 2.2.2) also results in a similar error on startup. I get two wxWidgets Debug Alert messages. After clicking Continue for each warning I can use the software. I do not yet notice any functionality problems after I dismiss these warnings.
wxWidgets Debug Alert-20181230-113908.png
wxWidgets Debug Alert-20181230-113841.png

wxWidgets Debug Alert
A debugging check in this application has failed.
c:\wxwidgets-3.1.1\src\common\dynlib.cpp(102): assert ""IsLoaded()"" failed in wxDynamicLibrary::DoGetSymbol(): Can't load symbol from unloaded library

A reply from one of the developers:

The default value of wxDEBUG_LEVEL is 1.
On Windows, when we were using wxWidgets 3…0.2, I’m pretty sure this level was set to 0 in our version of wxWidgets.
I think that the Windows version of Audacity 2.3.0 was built with an unmodified version of wxWidgets 3.1.1.

In other words, although this is an inconvenience for a few (very few) users, it is believed to be harmless.

View this error as you wish. I’m going back to the last stable release that works on my computer - 2.0.6. Fortunately, I kept an install copy of it. I see you’ve removed all previous versions from all download sites. No point using this site any more.

Thanks for your reply. Happy New Year!

Have to say that I do sympathise with Audiobsessed. I too am staying with a version that doesn’t have this bug (and it is a bug). BTW, I’m pretty sure that a similar fault has appeared once with a previous release.

I also sympathise with the developers - after all, the program is free and it seems churlish to be too critical of it when a lot of people have given up their time, and you’re getting it for nothing.

However, having already given so much, one would think that they would want to go the last few yards and get rid of this behaviour. I am hopeful that “programmers’ pride” will eventually lead to it being dealt with.

Thanks anyway Audacity team - I have used and loved your work for many years and do appreciate your generosity and what you have achieved.

Old versions were previously hosted on the “OldFoss” website, which has closed down. We are in the process of arranging alternative hosting for old versions.

For now, recent old versions may be found here: Old Audacity versions download
Scroll down to the bottom of the list of current versions, then select the “Older Versions” tab.

Even older versions are available here: Audacity - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression.

It’s not that the developers don’t care about this bug, it’s that the developers are not able to reproduce this bug, but they believe that it is probably due to building Audacity against a version of WxWidgets that has too high a level of debug messages. The bug was not discovered before release because it does not occur for any of the developers or testers.

The next release of Audacity is due this month. It will be built against a different build of WxWidgets, so hopefully this bug will not occur in the next version.

“Release Candidates” (pre-release test versions) are due to become available within the next few weeks. Unfortunately, despite the enormous number of users of Audacity, there a very few that test and give meaningful feedback about these pre-release versions. We could do with a lot more people to test release candidates, but as Audacity is created and supported by volunteers, we have to make do with what resources are available.

Happy New Year :wink:

A couple of the original reporters of this issue have tried RC03 Audacity 2.3.1 (thanks for that guys - very much appreciated) and this problem still occurs.

We remain baffled as we cannot reproduces this. It appears to be PC/OS specific as for a couple of the users who reported this - it showsn on one of their PCs but not on others.

I have logged this on our Bugzilla bug-tracker as Bug #2074
https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2074
Windows: wxwidgets 3.1.1 debug failure message - “Can’t load symbol…” on Audacity startup

Peter