where is the _data folder stored?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
w2iy
Operating System: Windows 7

where is the _data folder stored?

Post by w2iy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 am

Hello from a new user, windows 7, audacity 2.1.3. I created a project at end of July called west.aup. I opened it once to see if it came out OK and I was able to play back the audio. I just tried to open it again and I now get a message saying "Couldn't find the project data folder west_data". I searched my hard drive for any files starting with "west" and several copies of west.aup turned up but no west_data. Have I lost this forever? Where should the west_data folder be? Can I get it back somehow? Thanks in advance for help, Mike T.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: where is the _data folder stored?

Post by waxcylinder » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am

________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:12 pm

If Windows search couldn't find it, it's probably gone. The AUP file and the _DATA folder need to be in the same location or folder to find each other. If it's not there just by looking around, that's a serious problem.

It hasn't happened in a long time, but some anti-virus software products don't like Audacity files.

I would make a simple project and save it to see what Windows does. If the _DATA folder vanishes again, then there is something in your machine helping you.

You are warned not to put any leading spaces or illegal characters in a filename. Upper, lower, numbers, _underscore_ and-dash- are the only universally safe characters.

There's also the terrifically remote possibility you are not the only user on your machine. When was the last time you did the thorough virus check where you can't use your machine for several hours?

Are you using the computer internal drives? There have been some evil things happen when people try to use external or cloud drives. Audacity doesn't like that.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Do you know much room is on your hard drive?

Koz