remove drums and enhance volume

Hi, I’m on Windows 7 OS attempting to use Audacity 2.1.2.

I have a couple of questions for the experts here…

1. I’m trying to remove the drums in an mp3. I’ve identified a section in which the drums are alone and removed them there. Otherwise, if I try to do this for the whole track, it reduces the entire volume of anything. I tried to request noise profile which didn’t reveal any details in which I could separate the drums out. I’ve attached the song and what I’ve done ‘successfully’ to this point (noise reduction on :23-24).

2. I’m trying to improve the volume of another mp3. I have used the amplify effect, but in this case it just makes the sound very choppy.

Thanks very much!!

I’ve identified a section in which the drums are alone and removed them there.

And that may be the end of the adventure. Audacity can’t split a mixed performance into individual instruments, voices and sounds.

Sometimes you can get lucky and use Effect > Vocal Reduction and Isolation to manage drums. They tend to be in the left-right middle of a stereo show and that’s where they need to be for the effect to grab them. Of course if there’s a vocal, too, it’s going to get crushed in the effect.

I’m trying to improve the volume of another mp3.

Are you trying to match a different MP3? or a Playlist? Some times you need to match the studio processing to make the sound right. New Music is beat up to make it as loud as possible. Older music isn’t and it can be a bear to match them.

Koz

If you open your clip in Audacity and View > Show Clipping, It’s going to light up with a ton of little red lines. That’s all the places where the tune hit distortion from being too loud. Once it does that, the distortion is permanent. If you lower the volume, that will give you quieter distortion.

It’s View > Show Clipping in Audacity 2.2.2.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

If you have an earlier Audacity it may be somewhere else.

Koz

but isn’t it in two separate frequency types? It looks as though the track is divided in two. I’ve also seen a youtube video where you can select a bar of music …choose from effect > noise removal, noise profile, noise reduction, and change some numbers up to 48db change, etc. I just have no idea how to get the noise profile or interpret one. The guy in the clip was able to apply his change (such as what I did at 23-24 seconds) to the whole track.

Please see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ55xunHvsU
thoughts?

Anyone else have a different approach possibly?

Thank you!

He’s using Audacity 1.2.6, which has been obsolete for years and is no longer supported.
You may be able to get a similar effect with the “Vocal Reduction and Isolation” effect: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/vocal_reduction_and_isolation.html

yes, you guys were right, that worked!

I just isolated the vocals to eliminate the extra noise which was unfavorable.

Thanks, I’ll see what can be done about the volume of the other mp3 and let you know how it panned out!

If a tiny bit of the undesirable noise remains (after vocal isolation), should I move strength up higher to drown it out or adjust the Low/High cut for vocals (currently at 120.0/9000.0)?

On the overall volume issue (for a different mp3), can I raise the overall volume on the track with any other effect than amplify? At some point that effect has limitations and you can’t make it any louder. The clip in mind has no little red lines when I hit View > Show Clipping.

Thank you!!

Try Audacity’s native limiter with “make-up gain” enabled …

yes, thank you the limiter seems to have made it louder! that’s a great tool!

I’m still a bit puzzled on this issue under vocal isolation & reduction…

…if a tiny bit of the undesirable noise remains (after vocal isolation), should I move strength up higher to drown it out or adjust the Low/High cut for vocals (currently at 120.0/9000.0)?

Thank you so much!