Windows 10, Help with importing 300 mp3's, add silence between each then export as large mp3?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
[email protected]
Operating System: Windows 10

Windows 10, Help with importing 300 mp3's, add silence between each then export as large mp3?

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Audacity 2.2.2 Windows 10
I am a new user of Audacity and trying to create a large mp3 file. Was hoping to import 300 or more mp3's onto one track horizontally. Then add 20-30 seconds of silence between each mp3, then export it as one large mp3 that will play each song with breaks of silence between each.

Can that be easily accomplished with Audacity? If so can you provide a few key instructions or procedures.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.
Steve

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Windows 10, Help with importing 300 mp3's, add silence between each then export as large mp3?

Post by steve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Any reason to not just use a playlist rather than creating a huge MP3 file? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlist# ... list_files)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Re: Windows 10, Help with importing 300 mp3's, add silence between each then export as large mp3?

Post by DVDdoug » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm

If you only have one-long file you can't have separate metadata for each song (artist/album/title/track number).

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks for your responses gentlemen,

I don't really care about the meta data info, artists, genre etc just as long as the songs play.

I would like the large mp3 to simply play thru with 20-30 second silence breaks between each song

Do you think it possible to do something like this with the Audacity? Somewhat easily? is there something like a ripple comand to add silence breaks after each song?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm

You could create a LOF (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/lof_files.html), but probably easier to just create a playlist as previously suggested, unless there's a good reason why you can't use a playlist.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm

You can do it but I don't know of any way to do it "easily". It's going to take a few hours.

File -> Import -> Audio to get the 1st song.

file -> Import -> Audio again for the next song. A separate 2nd track will be created for the 2nd song.

Use the Time Shift Tool to drag the 2nd song to the right, leaving a 20-30 second gap.

...Repeat 'till done.

When you export you audio you'll get a file with the songs combined in-sequence.

It's probably easier if you combine 5 or 10 songs/files at a time to make "album length" files (or maybe 1 hour files), then repeat the process with the bigger files until you're done.

-------------------------------------------------
A note about MP3 - As you may know MP3 is lossy compression. When you open an MP3 in an audio editor it gets decompressed. If you re-export to MP3 (or other lossy format) it goes through another generation of lossy compression, and the "damage" does accumulate. It's best to start with lossless files and compress ONCE to MP3 as the last step.

Otherwise, if you are stuck with MP3 originals, try to minimize the number of times the file is compressed. (If you are saving temporary files with 5 or 10 songs, save as WAV or FLAC.)

There is a WAV file-size limit of 4GB (or 2GB depending on what software you're using). So, you won't be able to save a 300-song WAV file. FLAC is lossless compression and as far as I know, there is no file size limit.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Thank you Doug and Steve for your suggestions.

I would think there must be some basic music app out there that could create a large mp3 file consisting of hundreds of songs with pre-set user adjustable breaks between each song. Will keep looking.

Thanks again

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 pm

I would think there must be some basic music app out there that could create a large mp3 file consisting of hundreds of songs with pre-set user adjustable breaks between each song.
Maybe...

But, most "audio production" (and video production) requires a LOT of human interaction, human judgement, and listening. If you're working on a movie soundtrack you might have thousands of audio files but you're going to work on it carefully for weeks...

You can do some batch processing/scripting but it usually takes more time to "program", test, and debug the process than to just dig-in and do it the "hard way". It can be worthwhile if you're doing the same thing every week....

And... Not too many people are making day-long audio programs. Audio books can get long, but they are broken-up into chapters/files.

P.S.
You might look-into SoX.
Sox is a (FREE) command-line tool that can do just about everything Audacity can do (maybe more) but without the GUI/Windows interface. Being a command-line tool, it's "easier" to automate. You would have to learn how to write a script (and how to use SoX), and your script would have to include the 300 file names, but it should be possible.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I would think there must be some basic music app out there
You don't want a basic music app. That would be iTunes. Scoop up hundreds of songs and dump them in a playlist. I get five keyclicks. Press play in order or scrambled. I'm sure Windows Media has something similar.

You want a custom playback app similar to Muzak or Point of Sale Entertainment Management. In fact, that's what your question reads like. "I need music for my store...."

Good luck.

Koz

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Why do you refuse to use a playlist?