Every time I try to enable a plugin to Audacity, it doesn't work and it just fails to register

“\AppData\Roaming\audacity\Plugins\Barberpole Phaser.dll failed to register” is an error message that shows up all the time and infuriates me all the time. I don’t really know how to solve it since no one makes any videos on it as if I’m just hallucinating and nothing’s wrong. This seems to happen in the Audacity version 2.2.2 and I have a Windows 10 Home OS, but I don’t know if any of these stats effect or cause what’s going on.

what i did to make this happen:

1. open audacity and go under the effects tab
  2. open up the “add/remove plug-ins” window
  3. press one or more plugins and then press the enable button
  4. it tries to register than it just fails for some reason, displaying the error message from above

If it’s a VST plug-in, it must be a 32-bit plug-in, not 64-bit.
Audacity does not support MIDI effects, or MIDI features in audio effects.
Audacity does not support any kind of DRM or copy protection features.

im having the exact same issue , someone pls help me , all i want to do is one simple thing and its sooo frustrating

I encountered this today for an AU plugin generated by faust2juce.
There definitely should be more printed out about why it failed to “register”.
Running the Audacity binary from the command line, I was able to
discover that my first problem was the lack of a “version hint” on my plugin parameters
(a JUCE assertion failure was printed in the terminal running Audacity).
My second problem, for which there was no clue whatsoever, was that
I needed to add an input to my plugin. Apparently, if Audacity does
not see the number inputs and outputs it wants, it just silently fails.

Are we still using that language in the latest version (3.3.3, or 3.4 alpha)? I thought we had replaced it with this dialog instead:

FYI- That’s outdated information from 2018. :wink: The plug-in “bits” have to match Audacity so assuming you are running 64-bit Audacity you’ll need 64-bit VSTs.

Technically, compatibility is up to the plug-in developer. With commercial plug-ins there is usually a list of officially supported hosts. For example, Antares Auto Tune does NOT officially support Audacity.

Sometimes the plug-in will work (or work partially) if it’s not officially supported but “you can’t complain” if it doesn’t, or if it suddenly stops working with the next release of Audacity.

With free plug-ins it’s usually hit-or-miss.