Audacity does not pick any sound

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Alfred Colvin
Operating System: Windows 10

Audacity does not pick any sound

Post by Alfred Colvin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 am

Hello,
I have installed the latest Audacity version 2.2.2. after uninstalling a previous version using Revo Uninstaller. To test it, I tried to record music from U-tube on line but it was not picking any sound. The monitor was not active after clicking 'Start monitoring' and when I clicked record, the message was "Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, recording device and the project sample rate." These properties I have checked and as far as I know they are in order. Also I have not tampered or changed any of the previous connections I had on my previous version. I would be grateful if you could tell me how to make Audacity record again.
The following are the details: Audacity - win - 2.2.2 Windows 10/system 32; System type x64-based PC

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Audacity does not pick any sound

Post by kozikowski » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am

This is our posting on making a Windows machine record its own playback. Windows machines don't naturally want to do that, so what you have now is "normal."

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tut ... puter.html

Koz

Alfred Colvin
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity does not pick any sound

Post by Alfred Colvin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 am

Dear Kozikowski,
Just a courtesy note to thank you for your technical support. I followed you instructions and with some patience and perseverance, I got Audacity to work properly now. Much appreciated and thank again. Cheers - Alfred Colvin