Experiencing delay but fix from the manual isn't working [SOLVED]

Hello all, I’m a brand new user looking to make some overdub recordings using audacity. I’m running version 2.1.2 on a Windows 10 machine. My recording setup is a Shure SM-57 microphone plugged into a FocusRite 2i2 audio interface.

My issue is that whatever goes through my microphone comes back out through my headphones via the direct monitor feature on the interface, but I also get a small delay which I’m supposing is the sound being processed by my computer and then being routed back through the interface. I searched the manual and it appears that the solution should be to just uncheck “software playthrough” under the “transport” menu, but that has not fixed the problem. Does anyone use audacity to make overdubs and have you experienced this issue?

Did you select the Focusrite as your [u]Recording Device[/u]? (If you record “Stereo Mix” or “loopback” you can make a feedback loop.)

Does anyone use audacity to make overdubs and have you experienced this issue?

Do you like to or have you ever recorded internet sound or recorded sound playing on the computer? The settings you had to change to do that are the ones causing troubles. As above, make sure your recording device is a real-live thing and not a fake process like Stereo-Mix.

If there is any doubt which “thing” is real, note the names in Audacity’s recording devices. Unplug the 2i2 and Transport > Rescan. Which device vanished?

Koz

I have set the focusrite as my recording and playback devices…one thing worth noting is that the delayed sound, the one that I want to get rid of, is only coming through the left side of my headphones. The live monitoring is on both sides.

Do you like to or have you ever recorded internet sound or recorded sound playing on the computer?

We need an answer to that.

… the one that I want to get rid of, is only coming through the left side of my headphones.

When you plain, ordinary record your voice (no overdubbing), do you get your microphone on Left-Only, Stereo? That’s normal. The 2i2 is naturally stereo and left to its own devices, it will put whatever’s plugged into channel 1 to Left. What do you get?

The live monitoring is on both sides.

I suspect strongly that’s artificial and perfectly normal. My interface forces mono-mix for Zero Latency Monitoring (headphones) in an effort to dance around all the different monitoring errors.

Are you using the 2i2 naked? That is, did you install driver or other software?

Koz

To answer your questions, in order:

1. No, I have never used this software to record audio directly from the computer.
  2. If I record myself and play it back, it comes through the left side.
  3. I have installed drivers for the 2i2.

I’ve noticed that I can mute my computer and the delay won’t be there anymore, of course then the problem is that I can’t monitor any previous tracks I’ve recorded.

The settings that you need are:

In Audacity > Transport menu > Transport Options:
Overdub = On / Selected
Software Playthrough = Off / Not selected

In the recording setting of the Windows Sound Control Panel:
Listen to this device = Off / Not selected

Yes that fixed it thank you so much! I had tinkered with the sound settings in Windows but obviously did not try this solution.