iPod - HELP..!

Hi ALL,

I am now to Audacity and only a novice at best when it comes to the latest technology. Years ago my children purchased an iPod for me which I have quite a few songs on ( most purchased but some moved from CD to the iPod). Anyway, my daughter is getting married in just under 100 days and I want to create a song montage for our father / daughter dance. I have tried reading some of the tutorials on how to move the songs from the iPod to Audacity, so I can try and do clips, but have been totally unsuccessful and just about to give up until I found this forum. I’m hoping one of the 88 people on line can help - heck for that matter I don’t even know where a reply would come to…

Thanks
Dave

I’m hoping one of the 88 people on line can help

We come and go.

Describe the computer.

Laptop? Desktop? Which model?

Koz

I’ve never done that but I found [u]How to copy songs from your iPod to your PC[/u]. You won’t be copying to Audacity, you’ll be copying to the hard drive on your computer and then opening/importing those files in Audacity.

…Typically, you keep the files on your computer and create an iTunes library. Then “sync” the iPod to iTunes. (I think that happens automatically if I plug-in my iPod and start iTunes.)

On my computer I use Winamp (now “outdated”) to play music but I have iTunes to “sync” my iPod. There’s only one copy of my music files but they are linked to the Winamp and iTunes libraries. (Actually I have multiple copies/backups on different computers and portable hard drives.)

“Transferring” files from an iPod may not be available. Syncing works if you have the original license of the music and you are working on the original computer. If you miss any of those conditions, Music Sync may fail. I created a terrific music mix on a Mac with a very old iPod. Everything legal and correct.

Scene shifts several years later, the Mac is long gone, but the iPod is still cranking along. None of the newer Macs want to have anything to do with me or my mix. It’s a prisoner on a scroll-wheel iPod.

The only way to transfer the work is classic analog with a headphone cable and interface in the case of Windows or a stereo Line-In in the case of Older Macs or a Mac Mini.

It’s a cousin to this. That’s a Behringer UCA-202 stereo to USB interface. It works with both Macs and Windows.

Koz

There is one other possibility. Mount the iPod in iTunes and play the music “digitally” while you force the computer to record it’s own playback.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_audio_playing_on_the_computer.html

That should work with good quality no matter what else is going on.

Koz

See this tutorial in the Audacity Manual: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_how_to_import_files_from_itunes.html

WC

I tried the instructions from the link I gave above and I was able to copy an MP3 from the iPod to my computer.

I plugged-in my iPod classic*, and the iPod didn’t show-up as a device/hard drive right away and it seemed to show-up intermittently, so I don’t know if my antique iPod is flaky or there’s something else going-on. …Maybe you have to start iTunes first, but in any case it was flaky.

The procedure was a slightly different. (On Windows 10) I clicked This PC, then clicked on the iPod. Then View → Show Hidden Files to make the iPod_Control folder show-up.

In the music folder there were folders with names like “F10” and inside those folders I found MP3 files with altered names like “ABCD.MP3”. If you have a lot of files it’s going to be hard to identify the ones you want. (The original files on my hard drive are in a folders with the artist name, sub-folders with the album name, and MP3 files with the song name.)

I dragged one of those MP3s to my desktop. That seemed to work and the icon was the album artwork. I can play the file in Windows Media Player (or Winamp or iTunes) and then I can see the artist/album/title information (even though the filename doesn’t give me a clue).

\

• My 160GB iPod classic is almost full and the newer solid-state versions won’t hold all of my music.

even though the filename doesn’t give me a clue

It’s not unusual for large corporations to train temporary workers for when the big guns go on vacation. These are Vacation Relief workers, place holders to keep everything just running—treading water—until the real developers, programmers and coders return.

It’s my opinion, yet to be dis-proven, that iTunes is a product of Vacation Relief.

Koz

My 160GB iPod classic is almost full and the newer solid-state versions won’t hold all of my music.

Correct. Even the special 128 iPod won’t do it.

Koz