Unable to Record

I’m transferring a legacy recording. Currently I’m unable to record sound, though I had partial success when I previously used the software (which was very fickle). It does recognize the Tascam device. To troubleshoot the issue, I’ve reinstalled the drivers and software. I’ve selected the sample rate and bit depth specific to the recording. I’ve even changed the inputs so that channels 1 and 2 are set to digital, while channels 3 and 4 are analog. Currently the Tascam interface indicates, “Digital Input Status: no valid signal.” Does anyone have a suggestion about how to get a result?

Which Tascam interface is it?
Where exactly does it say “Digital Input Status: no valid signal.”?

It’s a Tascam 144mkii. The device has an interface / control panel.

and I presume that you are trying to record from the digital inputs?
Are you using a supported operating system (Windows 8 or earlier)?
Does the device work with Cubase (apparently Cubase LE5 was supplied with the device)

I’ve even changed the inputs so that channels 1 and 2 are set to digital, while channels 3 and 4 are analog.

Audacity doesn’t do well with multi-track recording so you’ll probably only get channels 1 & 2 for left & right. (But, maybe there’s something you can do with the Tascam configuration utility?)

I’m transferring a legacy recording…

… Tascam interface indicates, “Digital Input Status: no valid signal.” Does anyone have a suggestion about how to get a result?

Does your “legacy” equipment have a digital output?

Yes, I’m using a supported operating system (8.1).

Here is my setup: DAT (s/pdif) —> M Audio CO2 (coaxial) —> Tascam 144mkii (usb) —> laptop

Cubase lists the analog ports as active and the digital ports as inactive.

It could be a configuration problem with the Tascam.

Or something could be bad in that digital chain… The DAT output could be bad, the optical or coax cable could be bad, or the optical/coax adapter, or the input on the Tascam could be bad…

Do you have any extra cables to switch-in? Do you have a home-theater receiver with optical and/or coax inputs so you can test that stuff?

Are the DAT’s analog outputs working? Are the analog inputs on the Tascam working?

You might have to make an analog recording. It won’t be “digitally perfect”, but a line-level connection to a good-quality audio interface can be darn good and it will be better than a cassette, or a vinyl record, or any analog medium.