NEED HELP?

Hi again,

I’m not sure what’s going on. Yesterday, I connected my microphone to my computer and tried recording a track; unfortunately, nothing seems to get recorded! I tried singing, I tried speaking - nada. shrug This is very weird, especially as I’ve recorded with Audacity before with no trouble.

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my microphone (a Rode NT-USB), because although I tried connecting it to several USB ports, nothing was being recorded and I couldn’t see any power going to the microphone. However, tonight I tried connecting it and I saw it powering on - but, again, nothing gets recorded, not even the background noises (cars outside, etc.) that I normally have to deal with.

Here are some specs:

1. My version of Audacity is 2.1.1;
  2. I’m using Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1;
  3. I’m not getting an error message (though it would be a heck of a lot easier if I was).

I couldn’t see any power going to the microphone.

The little microphone power light has to come on. That’s the USB power coming up the cable to run the microphone electronics. If you have a come and go problem, then you may have machine problems. All your USB sockets should be able to run a Rode NT USB.

Write down which ones don’t work and you should probably stop using them—for anything.

Once the microphone purple light in the cage comes on, give the machine a couple of seconds to get used to it and then restart Audacity. Then look for the microphone connection in the microphone selector window up in the toolbar. #9 in the illustration.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/

If it still doesn’t work, the manual tells you how to go into the Windows sound settings to make sure it got that far. Audacity gets sound from Windows, not the microphone.

Let us know.

Koz

All your USB sockets should be able to run a Rode NT USB.

The machine has to be completely on and running. Some machines shut down the USB ports when they sleep.

Koz