Audio burst

I would like to know if with Audacity it is possible to recover the audio quality when I cry or speak words that cause the db to go above the limit. My microphone is very bad, what happens when I say something loud, it ends with the audio quality, is there any solution? even external?

If only a few peaks have gone just a little over 0 dB, it is sometimes possible to repair with the “Clip Fix” plug-in (see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/clip_fix.html)

If there is more than just a little clipping, then repair is not possible.

I cry or speak words that cause the db to go above the limit. My microphone is very bad, what happens when I say something loud, it ends with the audio quality, is there any solution? even external?

You have a recording volume control… Turn it down and leave yourself some headroom.*

It’s unlikely that you are overloading the mic… You are most-likely clipping the analog-to-digital converter. With USB mics the ADC is built-into he mic and sometimes there is no analog level control, so they can be driven into distortion. But USB mics usually have enough headroom so they don’t overload unless you stick them in front of a guitar amplifier or a kick-drum. If you are overloading the mic itself, you’ll have to put more distance between you and the mic.

After recording you can “fade-up” the quiet parts (or turn-down the louder parts) with the Envelop Tool.

And, you can back-off the mic when you’re going to get loud and come-in close when you’re going to get quiet. They say Frank Sinatra “invented” “working the mic.” But no matter what, leave yourself some headroom!

\

When the signal is [u]clipped[/u], information is permanently lost. There is no way of knowing the original height or shape of the waveform. Software like Clip Fix can only “guess” and “smooth out” the waveform and hopefully reduce the sound of the distortion.

\

• With digital recording there is (almost) no digital noise, so you can turn-down the recording level a lot without hurting quality or reducing the signal-to-noise ratio.

On the acoustic/analog side that’s NOT the case. If you speak/sing quieter, or if you back-off the mic, your signal goes down but the acoustic noise and preamp noise remains the same (the signal-to noise is reduced). So if you amplify later, you’re boosting the signal and noise together and the noise becomes more noticabl.