Playback Sound Before But Not After APPLYING EFFECTS

I am running Windows 10, Audacity 2.2.2. I can play a recorded file fine and render effects on short pieces of my recording ( A Church Sermon), but after I apply an effect to a large sample I can not hear the playback on the file. I can see the visualization showing that it is playing but hear no audio. At times I can save, close Audacity and then reopen the program and file and it will play back but sometimes the save doesn’t keep my effect (usually Amplify).

I have tried checking and resetting Edit>Prefrences>Devices. All other audio on the computer works and Audacity will play after opening and closing.

Any Ideas?

What is the effect that you are applying?
Is it one specific effect that does this, or does this happen with all effects?
If you “Edit menu > Undo” the effect, does playback start working again?

Your questions were very helpful. It seems I apply effects to shorter clips without it causing an issue, but when I try to apply it to longer clips is when it won’t give me sound on playback. I have successfully removed clipping, applied normalization, amplified, and compressed short segments without issue. When I try to normalize, amplify, or it seems do anything to the whole track or a long segment of it, playback ceases.

I am working on Sermons/ Church Service audio which can exceed 1.5 hours in length.

Are you able to narrow this down to a few steps that reliably reproduce the problem?

When you say “playback ceases”, do you mean that Audacity appears to play, but no sound comes out, or that Audacity does not play at all (the playback cursor does not scroll across the waveform)?

When you say “playback ceases”, do you mean that Audacity appears to play, but no sound comes out, or that Audacity does not play at all (the playback cursor does not scroll across the waveform)?

Answer- The waveform appears and moves with the location line tracking across the track. The db meter shows the change in volume as it “plays” across the track, only no audio

When I go to Edit Menu> Undo Amplify, or just click the undo button it does not begin working again. The only way I can get the volume to come back through is to Save the project>Close Audacity and then reopen Audacity then the file. It also isn’t saving the application of the effect all the time when I go to File> Save Project, but does when I Save Project As.

It seems to also not playback audio after Saving As.

I’m thinking that applying an effect may be a red herring, and that it is just that your audio playback is cutting out.

What is your playback system? Is it the built-in speakers on a laptop, or USB speakers, or headphones plugged into a USB sound card, or something else?

I am running headphones through my Toshiba Satallite’s built in Soundboard, and through the built-speakers. I have never had any cut -off on any audio. I use this same lap-top to play and record simultaneously while using presentation software.

I have tried installing and uninstalling AND restarting.

It seems that it is also having an issue saving at times.

The headphones are through the onboard 1/8 Headphone Jack.

In what way?

I use a Satallite s55-C Laptop with a SmartAudio program that manages my 1/8 in headphone and input combo jack.

When I use File> Save Project it doesn’t always save the Effects I have applied.