Records for a few minutes then freezes

I am using audacity 2.2.2 and am on windows 10

Recently most of my recording attempts have been thwarted by the track freezing after a few minutes of recording. The audio will be working well for the first few minutes until it completely freezes and stops recording. It doesn’t end the recording but the track stops in place. Please help soon as this is ruining a lot of work and setting me back by days. Thank you.

What’s the job? Are you recording your voice for an AudioBook?

It doesn’t end the recording but the track stops in place.

So Audacity keeps recording the work but the screen freezes? That didn’t come out right.

Koz

Do you get an error message?

this is ruining a lot of work and setting me back by days.

If you’re a constant user of Audacity you might look if your drive is filling up. Audacity will go until it runs out of room to put the sound.

Other possible causes will depend on your job. What is your job?

Koz

I don’t get any error message. It appears as if It’s just stopped mid track without warning. I’ve checked and made sure that I have enough space but the problem persists. I use audacity to record content for a youtube channel. I currently do let’s plays and I’m preparing for trying a podcast setting, which wouldn’t play well with audio cut outs. when I get set back by days it’s from having to re record the same clips multiple times. I would greatly appreciate any help possible for this issue.

Is the streaming sound still playing when the recording “freezes”, or has it stopped playing?

I currently do let’s plays and I’m preparing for trying a podcast setting, which wouldn’t play well with audio cut outs.

That’s a specialized application with lots of buzz words. You’re recording your live microphone while a game plays? Where is the game? Is it an on-line process? Audacity will stop recording if the incoming data fails.

Audacity will only record from one device. Do you have a process that mixes game audio with your live microphone? That process or any of the parts of the process failing can cause the data stream to fail.

Koz

The tangle of recording multiple independent things is bad enough, but do you have anything else running back there? Skype? Other chat products? Is this iChat checking in for calls or connections every six minutes and disrupting the recording?

Koz

I record gameplay on an entirely different program and use audacity just to record the microphone. I have tested recording tracks both with and without the other program running along side it and both scenarios have the same result of freezing mid track. Everything is done locally from my computer with no internet required. I don’t believe that the cause of the freezing is the other program overwhelming it after benchmarking my computer in audacity and getting the result of “Able to record 40 tracks at once.”

the other program overwhelming it

Not the other progrm, an other program. What else is running?

If you stop the game or game system, does Audacity record and keep going?

What do you do to recover? Do you have to close Audacity?

Has this ever worked?

Koz

Have you ever hard shut down your machine? Shift-Shutdown instead of regular Shutdown? Do that once and don’t let anything else start.

My fuzzy right-brain is saying things like Audacity has stopped pushing work off to the cache system and when it fills up memory, it just dies. Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Directories. What does that say?

Koz

The other program I’m running is usually the game capture software from Elgato. After closing the the game capture program Audacity doesn’t continue recording. The best way I could describe the track when it freezes is like putting flowing water in a bucket. It appears capable of moving and it looks like it’s in motion, but it’s just not going anywhere, staying locked in place. In regards to your other request, the directories tab brings me to the sessions data folder, which is empty upon startup.

game capture software from Elgato.

I think they made the original program that runs my off-air television software. It’s just like cable; I have a pile of shows I’m never going to watch. The difference is I don’t have a monthly bill.

After closing the the game capture program Audacity doesn’t continue recording.

That’s close. Don’t run the Elgato software. Does Audacity record your voice normally?

One troubleshooting technique is to split the system up into fragments and then test the heck out of each fragment. Audacity thinks the incoming sound data has been interrupted. That’s when you get the cursor that’s almost vibrating it wants to start recording so bad—but never moves.

Has this ever worked?

Koz