Can I do this in Audacity?

What I want to do seems like very basic editing, namely, delete a vocal section from a song in itunes. I can select the section I want to remove, but neither the cut button nor the Edit->Remove Special options are enabled. Can I do this in Audacity and end up with a comparable-quality recording, but with a section removed?

Thanks,

David

Which version of Audacity are you using? (look in “Help menu > About Audacity”).
The current version is 2.2.2, which is available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
If you are using an old version, you may need to press the Stop button (editing not available while playback is just paused, it needs to be stopped).

For best results cut on the [u]zero crossings[/u].

If that doesn’t give you a smooth splice, split the recording into two separate tracks (or two separate files) and try a short [u]crossfade[/u] (or a longer crossfade if that works better).

And of course, if possible try to cut on the beat (or exactly between beats) to keep the timing constant. (It’s not always easy to find the beats in the waveform.)