INSTALL ON WINDOWS 7 requirements

Hello ; sorry to bother ur time and all with this but i am running as of this moment a laptop 64-bit operating system with windows 7 Home Basic service pac 1 ;Processor: Intel Pentium CPU B950 2.10 GHz and 2Gb RAM.
An i was wondering if it will be able to run audacity or if it’s safe to install and run?(since not my laptop) Since i need to cut some tracks and samples i have to edit a music for a short i need.
And if it is able to run safetly on the laptop ,then how good the performance would be? how many hours of activity could i do? how much hours could i use it for per day and such?
Thanks a lot for your time, if you read this i hope you have a nice day/night.

[u]System Requirements[/u] (nothing too unusual or special).

If you want to do high-quality recording with microphones you’ll probably want an external USB interface that has XLR mic inputs for good stage/studio mics. And most laptops don’t have line-inputs, so if you want to record line-level signals on a laptop you’ll want a USB audio interface.

then how good the performance would be?

I suppose that depends on what you mean by “performance” and what you’re comparing it to… Like most audio editors, Audacity works in uncompressed 32-bit floating-point so your 16-bit or 24-bit files are “expanded” to 32-bits, and compressed files are decompressed, and that can take some time if you have big files. Then when you export (save) it takes some time to convert again.

how many hours of activity could i do? how much hours could i use it for per day and such?

Nothing bad should happen if you run it 24/7. Of course you can have driver problems or configuration problems, and if you’re recording you can sometimes run into trouble when multitasking, etc.

Thanks for the data man.

then how good the performance would be?I suppose that depends on what you mean by “performance” and what you’re comparing it to… Like most audio editors, Audacity works in uncompressed 32-bit floating-point so your 16-bit or 24-bit files are “expanded” to 32-bits, and compressed files are decompressed, and that can take some time if you have big files. Then when you export (save) it takes some time to convert again.

I meant performance as in troubles with slow down or crashes of the software or crashes of the laptop. I already have the samples and music i need to edit recorded just need to cut and put it together, 1-5 hours of work i guess would take. Also Thnks for the info .

how many hours of activity could i do? how much hours could i use it for per day and such?Nothing bad should happen if you run it 24/7. Of course you can have driver problems or configuration problems, and if you’re recording you can sometimes run into trouble when multitasking, etc.

Driver problems or configuration problems?? problems with the laptop or only with the audacity software? Could it produce trouble with driver settings of the laptop itself? Sorry if i ask some basic or pretty stupid stuff i just don’t wanna wreck the laptop that’s not mine, but i rly need to just put together this piece for this project.

DVDdoug means that if your laptop already has problems, then you may experience those problems when using Audacity. It’s impossible for Audacity to “cause” a computer to crash, because Audacity does not operate at kernel level, but if there is already a kernel level problem (such as incorrect or faulty sound card drivers), then it is “possible” that Audacity (or any other software) could trigger that pre-existing problem.