I can never find the topic group I need to post my question

I am ridiculously technology-illiterate. I came to the forum to ask a couple of simple questions and cannot even figure out which topic group to post under…GEEZ! Anyway, in light of that, please, if/when you reply, make sure it is in language a fairly smart 3 - 4 year old can understand and, I’m going to go ahead and ask both questions here. Please forgive me.

Question 1 - I have a plain old ezcap usb cassette capture device. Not a 2.2 or anything, the 1st version. Thankfully, I still have a functioning tower that runs windows xp so I can use it. Anyway, I opened the interface and cannot figure out how to do it…it’s been quite a while since I used it the first time. Anyway, then I came online to get the manual and only the most recent manual is displayed. Is there anywhere I can get the manual for my device so I can make the old cassettes I found in storage into CD’s? And, if so, can you please send a link to the manual so all I have to do is download it? I know I can do that. Thanks SO much.

Question 2 - How can I find out what my password is? If I didn’t have it saved so I can sign in automatically, I wouldn’t be here now. Help?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Teri

Plug-in the USB before starting Audacity.

Start audacity and select the USB device as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. (It will probably say “USB CODEC” or something like that. It probably won’t say “ezcap.”) Make sure the playback device is still your regular speakers.

Click the Audacity Record button, start the tape, and you should be recording (you should see activity on the Audacity “meters” and you should see the blue waveforms).

[u]Tutorial - Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD[/u].

Note that Audacity doesn’t burn CDs. You’ll need to export to one or more WAV files, and then use different software.

Is there anywhere I can get the manual for my device

Hopefully you don’t need the manual for your capture device. Just plug it in and hit Play.

On the software side, use the latest version of Audacity (currently 2.2.2) and you’ll have a manual for the software.

Question 2 - How can I find out what my password is? If I didn’t have it saved so I can sign in automatically, I wouldn’t be here now. Help?

I can’t help with that. Of course you ould always create a new user account.

Thankfully, I still have a functioning tower that runs windows xp so I can use it.

What? Are you saying that you also have a newer computer? A new computer should work fine. The tower would have analog line-inputs (which most laptops don’t have) so you could make an analog connection from the cassette player’s headphone jack, but with USB you don’t need an analog connection.

I’ve been ill since I 1st posted. I just wanted to thank you for your reply and let you know I’m not all the way better yet but the moment I am, I’ll try it and let you know.
Thanks again!

When I hit Edit, there was no USB device as recording device option.

The device must be connected and available to the operating system before you launch Audacity.
To check that the device is available to the operating system, check in the Recording tab of the Windows Sound Control Panel.

I can never find the topic group I need to post my quest

Post to your operating system.
Koz

I will do that but I cannot do it until tomorrow. I have to get offline this evening. Thanks SO much for your replies and patience!

So I checked in the Sound section and it shows a USB PnP Audio Device…is that what I want it to say?

Which “Sound section”? I don’t know what you are referring to.

You wrote the following - Posted by steve » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 am
The device must be connected and available to the operating system before you launch Audacity.
To check that the device is available to the operating system, check in the Recording tab of the Windows Sound Control Panel.

I looked in that location and found USB PnP Audio Device. Is that what I want it to say.

Assuming that you only have the one USB device, that sounds right.

If you then launch Audacity, that USB PnP Audio Device should be listed as a recording device in the device toolbar.

The USB PnP Audio Device still doesn’t show up as an option…I quit!

After connecting the USB device, ensure that you Quit all Audacity sessions and restart Audacity, then “Help menu > Diagnostics > Audio Device Info”. Wait for the info to appear, and click the “Save” button. Save the info somewhere convenient, then attach the saved file to your reply. See here for how to attach a file to a forum post: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

I went to the link you gave me and I printed your reply and all of that. I’m going to read it over, then try it. When I finish that, I’ll write again with the results. Fingers crossed.

Once I opened Audacity and went to Help>Diagnostics>Audio Device Info, there was no “Save” button. So what I did was save as many screenshots as needed to get all of what was there for you. I’m attaching them here. But I do have a question…why was there so much repetitive stuff?
Problem - I have 14 attachments and it only allowed 4 so I’m going to have to reply a few more time. SO sorry!
Audio Device Info 4.jpg
Audio Device Info 3.jpg
Audio Device Info 2.jpg
Audio Device Info 1.jpg

Here is the next set of attachemtns
Audio Device Info 5.jpg
Audio Device Info 6.jpg
Audio Device Info 7.jpg
Audio Device Info 8.jpg

Set 3
Audio Device Info 9.jpg
Audio Device Info 10.jpg
Audio Device Info 11.jpg
Audio Device Info 12.jpg

Last set including an odd error message I get after hitting submit.
Audio Device Info 13.jpg
Audio Device Info 14.jpg
Why did I get this message.jpg

The “General Error” message is probably because the forum software was put into maintenance mode today for a major update.

For the “Audio Device Info”, if you click the “OK” button the info can be saved as a text file, then you can attach the text file to your post. Please do that as it is much easier to see what’s going on compared with try to make sense of so many screenshots.