Mild Distortion During Recording

I sat down to record today(the last time I did was probably last week, and nothing has changed settings or update-wise since) and for some reason the audio is distorted, like someone is randomly knocking or rustling the microphone about.

I’ve been asked to read a lengthy script, so I’ve been working on it in sections and sending it to the person whose requested such piece by piece.

Audacity 2.2.2
Windows 10 x64
Samson Meteor Mic(USB)

Thanks for the clip. That gives us a good push when we’re trying to figure out what’s wrong.

There are really tiny portions of the voice that are just missing. Little holes in the show. That can happen when the computer is trying to do two (or more) things at once. As a first level fix, restart the machine and don’t let anything else start. Disconnect the network or turn off WiFi.

See if that helps.

Yes, it’s a terrifically bad idea to read the whole book/script before you resolve this.

As a side issue, your voice is really low volume. Is there any way to bump it up? You probably won’t be able to do this in Audacity, but the Windows panels may be useful.

And while you’re in Windows panels, turn off all the automatic voice processing.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#enhancements

Even if you don’t have those exact problems, it’s good not to have those tools running when you’re recording for high quality performance.

Koz

That microphone is desk mounted. The ideal announcing distance is about a Hawaiian shaka.

You can push the microphone up with books to get it closer to your face.

Include the towel and that will help with table vibrations and room noises

Ideally, you’d be on a mic stand with boom.

Koz

Don’t change anything after you start the long job.

Koz