Audacity 2.1.3 playback track interlock?

Hello, I’m a mildly functioning idiot who can barely spell comptuer, so please be patient with me. It’s OK, in fact preferred, if you talk loudly & slow, using small words.

My computer running Windows 7 recently fritzed. I bought a new tower running Windows 10. I have been replacing my programs, favorites, files, etc. I replaced Audacity with the same program I had on my last computer (Ver. 2.1.3) Then I went to use it. I set the sound levels in a folder by ear, playing a peak section in 1 track for a few seconds, then clicking “play” on a section of another track (in another Audacity window) so I can compare the volume levels. Now I can’t. This makes me sad. (When I’m sad I chew things. When I’m happy I lick things. When I’m ambivalent I yodel.)

A friend of mine who’s a computer guy said something about it being an “interlock” problem (turns off 1 function when I start a new function), but it might have another name. He had me look through Audacity in the settings, preferences, whatnot, all to no avail. I know I didn’t set anything different on my old computer when I downloaded it (I didn’t know enough to do something like that. Still don’t in fact.)

All I want the program to do is play in 1 window, then shut off when I hit play in another window. If we can land a probe on an asteroid millions of miles away, rocketing through space at tens of thousands of miles per hour, certainly this is possible.

Any assistance would be most appreciated. (I would like to stop chewing on things.)

The current version is 2.2.2, and is available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Downloads

A better way is to import both tracks into one Audacity window. Use the Solo / Mute track buttons to determine which tracks to listen to.

If you are only working with a couple of tracks, each track may be exported separately using “File menu > Export Selected Audio” (or something like that - I don’t recall exactly what it is called in the old 2.1.3 version).

If you are working with a lot of tracks, then the tracks may be exported individually using “File menu > Export Multiple”.

The relevant part of the manual (Audacity 2.2.2) is here: File Menu: Export - Audacity Manual but note that there have been significant changes since Audacity 2.1.3.

Thanks for the reply Steve, but the way I’d been checking/setting volume levels had been working great. I’d open all files (in separate windows) in a folder then use 1 as a master, setting the volume in each file then saving & exiting that file & moving on to the next. I’m comfortable with it & it’s easy enough.

I’m aware of the newer Audacity programs. I installed every one of them to see if they would work like I wanted, but none did. I’m used to ver. 2.1.3 so that’s why I’m keeping it.

I called the HP tech support but they said since it was a 3rd party software problem they couldn’t help me. Unless I wanted to pay for their service which would cost me $50 to start it. I told them that it was not Audacity’s fault because it worked just fine on Windows 7 without making any changes in the program, but they wouldn’t help me unless I paid for their service. I’ve went all through Audacity & there’s just not a way to make 1 window shut off by clicking on another like it used to. And as I said, that goes for all of the versions so I’m thinking there’s something in Windows 10 that’s doing this.

I did find Audacity on the external hard drive I had on my old computer where I had a 6 month old back up. I saved an image/snap shot/full back up so I transferred it to this computer but can’t figure out how to install it. When I run it though, it works like it should. I just can’t figure out how to install it. Hopefully one of my 2 geek friends will get back to me, but I suspect they saw my number & don’t want to be bothered again.