Error when trying to use Nyquist Noise Gate on long files

Hi there,

I use Audacity to record audio tracks that are anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours long. I’ve recently installed the Nyquist Noise Gate plugin for Audacity, and I’ve found that when I try to apply this effect to a shorter track (roughly an hour or less) it works fine. However, when I try to apply it to a track longer than an hour (on average), the effect will get about halfway to two-thirds finished, and then it will either fail with no notification, or I’ll get an error message that says “Audacity failed to read from a file in R:” R drive is my Raptor drive that I record to. This error message seems to be somewhat generic. I have tried searching it, and I’ve found others who encountered the error, but in completely different circumstances. There seemed to be some who thought that the audio file was corrupted, but I get this consistently on brand new recordings that don’t have any other problems otherwise.

Relevant info:

Audacity 2.2.2
Recording in mono, 44100 Hz, 32 bit float.
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Recording with a Blue Yeti microphone, connected via USB

https://i.imgur.com/qxerne4.png

I appreciate any help or info you can offer. Thanks!

In case anybody ever finds this and has the same problem, I figured out that it’s because this plugin holds the entire file in RAM and it times out as it’s applying the effect because it runs out of storage. I can get around the problem quite reliably by just highlighting and applying the effect in 30-45 minutes increments at a time. Annoying problem, but luckily it’s a very simple workaround.

This is a problem that is common to many Nyquist plug-ins (though I was not aware that it affected the Noise Gate plug-in). 64-bit builds of Audacity on Linux can handle much longer files, so hopefully the problem on Windows and Mac will go away when Audacity eventually goes 64-bit.