Tools suddenly not working anymore

Hello,

I am in DESPERATE need of help, everybody. I have been using Audacity for many years now, am very familiar with it, and love it. Just the other day however, I opened it to use it as per usual, and a problem suddenly and somehow happened that I CANNOT figure out. I can’t click and drag my wave files using the Time Shift tool, can’t click and pull the markers using the Envelope tool, and can’t click and move different tracks up or down anymore. I also used to be able to click the Record button to start recording on a new track, and now when I click to record it just starts recording at the end of my open track.

NEVER had anything like this happen before and it is QUITE frustrating. I have looked and clicked/ EVERYWHERE, tried uninstalling and reinstalling (different versions), watched videos, and CANNOT figure out what is going on or how to fix this. I have a few projects lined up and can’t complete them because of this ridiculous problem :neutral_face: :unamused: / Can someone PLEASE HELP ME figure out what is going on??

Thanks so much, guys, looking forward to your helpful responses!
-Leviathan

and you’ve recently updated Audacity from an old version to version 2.2.2 ?

This one I can probably help with.
In older versions of Audacity it was:

• Click on Record button (Shortcut “R”) to record to a new track
  • Shift + Click on Record button (Shortcut “Shift + R”) to append the recording to the new track.

In the current version of Audacity, this has been reversed (in response to user feedback) so it is now:

• Click on Record button (Shortcut “R”) to append the recording to the new track.
  • Shift + Click on Record button (Shortcut “Shift + R”) to record to a new track

The other items sound strange.

Is this just in one project? Perhaps there is another audio clip in the way.

How are you selecting the Envelope Tool?

Where exactly are you clicking to drag? To drag a whole track up/down, you need to click on an empty part of the control panel on the left end of the track.