Lost Audio After Using Compression Effect

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Physiocrat
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Re: Lost Audio After Using Compression Effect

Post by Physiocrat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm

jademan wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:01 pm
Physiocrat wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:41 pm
The mono tracks around 45mins, the stereo (which it never effects) are less than a minute. I edit a podcast and the stereo is just short intro and outro music.
So I was unable to reproduce this issue in my testing. Perhaps you wish to upload a project which exhibits this problem.
Here's the file on which the compression cuts some of the audio.

https://fex.net/s/myyfpek

jademan

Post by jademan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Physiocrat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm
Your .aup3 file contains audio before time zero. You can tell this by the left-ward pointing arrows in the second track. When I apply the compressor to this track I can see that the compressor shifts the audio out of the negative area.

There is a report here: Compressor works incorrectly when selected audio is partly in negative time that describe this issue.

The developers have looked into the problem and on Jun 9, unfortunately, have closed this issue as not planned, saying "this is unlikely to get fixed any time soon, if at all - negative time is such a niche concept in an audio editor"

==> So, remove any audio before time zero and try running the compressor again. You can do this by Ctrl+A (select all), then grabbing the top of your track and sliding it until the yellow alignment bar appears.
Audacity Volunteer

Physiocrat

Post by Physiocrat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:46 pm

jademan wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:17 pm
Physiocrat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm
Your .aup3 file contains audio before time zero. You can tell this by the left-ward pointing arrows in the second track. When I apply the compressor to this track I can see that the compressor shifts the audio out of the negative area.

There is a report here: Compressor works incorrectly when selected audio is partly in negative time that describe this issue.

The developers have looked into the problem and on Jun 9, unfortunately, have closed this issue as not planned, saying "this is unlikely to get fixed any time soon, if at all - negative time is such a niche concept in an audio editor"

==> So, remove any audio before time zero and try running the compressor again. You can do this by Ctrl+A (select all), then grabbing the top of your track and sliding it until the yellow alignment bar appears.
Thanks for taking a look. I had no idea I was in negative time. I'll try realigning it.

waxcylinder

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:31 am

Physiocrat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:46 pm
I had no idea I was in negative time. I'll try realigning it.
The visual cues that you have audio in negative time are somewhat subtle - see the arrows (that I have ringed in green) in this image:
Negative time visual cues.png
Negative time visual cues.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Peter

jpuddy
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by jpuddy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:17 pm

I'm having this same issue on Mac, Audacity 3.2.1 but without the negative audio issue. The two issues referenced earlier describe my exact issue.

jademan

Post by jademan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:44 am

jpuddy wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:17 pm
I'm having this same issue on Mac, Audacity 3.2.1 but without the negative audio issue. The two issues referenced earlier describe my exact issue.
So let's cut to the chase. Zip up your .aup3 project file and upload it. Then post or PM me a link, along with instructions on how to replicate the problem.
Audacity Volunteer